• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ring Ring, its the future calling

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The ABL system has been around in test and development for a while. Not sure for how long, but I know my physics-geek roommate at USNA had a poster of one on our wall in '93. Supposed to nail TBMs in their boost phase. But since that's what Linebacker-Aegis is also for, and Linebacker-Aegis has already shot things down while the ABL has a looooong way to go before IOC, Sec Gates has been eyeing the program with an axe in hand.

Interesting technology, and I'm as big a fan of airborne death beams as anyone, but seems like a waste of time and money when we've got kinetic-kill weapons that work just as well or better and are already operational.

red_ryder

None
If you've been watching the TFR's, you can see when they do test flights. Great big purple-bordered playgrounds, in the sky.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Wow I didn't even know about the ATL. That's even more interesting to me than the ABL and seems like it would be more useful too. Thanks for sharing Flash.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Sec Gates has been eyeing the program with an axe in hand.

Main problem is cost / size to destructive power.

Directed energy systems as weapons are essentially embryos at this stage in the game.

I was only mildly surprised to see that this test was discussed in the media. Boeing and Sandia Natl Labs have been fighting an up hill battle to keep systems like these funded for years. As Fester said LOTS of time / money / and research is still needed and many dont see these systems as worth all of that energy.

I'm up in the air personally. Cool? yes. Needed? probably (at a later date for sure). Worth the price? I dont know.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Main problem is cost / size to destructive power.

Directed energy systems as weapons are essentially embryos at this stage in the game.

I was only mildly surprised to see that this test was discussed in the media. Boeing and Sandia Natl Labs have been fighting an up hill battle to keep systems like these funded for years. As Fester said LOTS of time / money / and research is still needed and many dont see these systems as worth all of that energy.

I'm up in the air personally. Cool? yes. Needed? probably (at a later date for sure). Worth the price? I dont know.

I really think they should push forward with this even if it is expensive. I haven't read about any other nation pursuing tech like this.

If we can get operational sooner then we can get the cost down and refine the tech. We'd be leaping pretty far forward in weapon technology over all potential adversaries.

I may not think it's needed but it's certainly worth more than handing out welfare to the undeserving.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I really think they should push forward with this even if it is expensive. I haven't read about any other nation pursuing tech like this......I may not think it's needed but it's certainly worth more than handing out welfare to the undeserving.

Seriously? There comes a point where no matter how much money you sink into something there will always be diminishing returns. We have heard the promise of lasers since Goldfinger but they have to make much more than a minor impact on the battlefield. There are certainly a handful of systems out there but their utility and cost-effectiveness are minor, especially compared to the overall investment in lasers so far. If you realized how many Super Hornets and JSF's we could get for just one of these Airborne Lasers you would probably think twice about what you just said.

If you don't think other countries are pursuing this too then you haven't been paying attention.

And there certainly is plenty of other DoD stuff that could use this money, not just welfare recipients.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Seriously? There comes a point where no matter how much money you sink into something there will always be diminishing returns. We have heard the promise of lasers since Goldfinger but they have to make much more than a minor impact on the battlefield. There are certainly a handful of systems out there but their utility and cost-effectiveness are minor, especially compared to the overall investment in lasers so far. If you realized how many Super Hornets and JSF's we could get for just one of these Airborne Lasers you would probably think twice about what you just said.

If you don't think other countries are pursuing this too then you haven't been paying attention.

And there certainly is plenty of other DoD stuff that could use this money, not just welfare recipients.

Have you read my username Flash? :D