• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RIP Col Ripley

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Only met him once, but he impressed the hell out of me.

He used to live right outside gate 3 and he was close enough that he could hear colors played on the Yard from his driveway. Everytime I happened to be going by during colors, I saw the man drop everything and snap to attention. One time, he waited until colors were over, then chased down a plebe wuba on libs who decided she didn't have time to observe colors.

Heck of a guy; heck of a patriot.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
He spoke to me and my classmates in my battalion our plebe year. Amazing attitude and warrior spirit. Really believed in mission accomplishment (that Message to Garcia, find a way to get the job done honorably type attitude) and "Don't Give Up The Ship." Real straight shooter.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ripley at the Bridge:

ripleybridgelgzb7.gif

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I was fortunate to have met, spoken with, and drank with Col Ripley on a very few occasions. Truly, a warrior, and he will be missed.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He did my capstone character seminar my firstie year. What a great role model and a great man. RIP Sir.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
A true American. I had the honor of hear him speak a time or two, but the most memorable thing about him is the stories he told of those Marines that served under him in Vietnam (most notably the radioman who killed a VC by literally shoving his antennae down the enemy throat.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Went to his funeral yesterday... it was standing room only in the Naval Academy chapel. The Chaplain who knew Col. Ripley pretty well was able to provide some good, lesser known anecdotes, while his son gave a pretty humorous eulogy marked with the seriousness of the fighting spirit Colonel Ripley displayed. After that, General Conway gave a pretty good speech about the leadership he always saw in Col. Ripley and ended it with Stonewall Jackson's final words, (Jackson was one of Ripley's heros) - "let's cross the river and rest under the shade of the trees."

Somber, moving experience that made you realize how much Ripley loved the Naval Academy and being a Marine. I don't think anyone in the chapel who has chosen to serve couldn't feel proud of following in such men's footsteps.

As many of you have said - "Where do we get such men?"