• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Robert White Passes At 85 - First at Mach 4...and 5...and 6

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Imagine the stories he could tell.... after dead-sticking an aircraft from 200,000 feet....

yak52driver

Contributor
There's a great book by Milt Thompson, At The Edge of Space, covering the X-15 program. All of those guys clanked when they walked.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
There's a great book by Milt Thompson, At The Edge of Space, covering the X-15 program. All of those guys clanked when they walked.

Great book. He had a follow-on about the lifting bodies but didn't finish it before he passed. The folks who did finish it didn't do a great job but it's one of the few records of another neat program by someone who was in the thick of it.

Who of my generation can forget the opening of this? http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x910ca_six-million-dollar-man-intro-openin_shortfilms

or this

yak52driver

Contributor
Great book. He had a follow-on about the lifting bodies but didn't finish it before he passed. The folks who did finish it didn't do a great job but it's one of the few records of another neat program by someone who was in the thick of it.

Who of my generation can forget the opening of this? http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x910ca_six-million-dollar-man-intro-openin_shortfilms

or this

I've got that book, too, Flying Without Wings. You're right, the book wasn't as good when the writer tried to finish the book. He made a good effort, but it lost the personal feeling that Milt Thompson wrote with.

When I was a kid I sat mezmerized watching The Six Million Dollar Man. What's amazing is they rebuilt that lifting body (M2F2) and it flew again as the M2F3. PIO's were a problem with those aircraft.