• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rogue Waves

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just found this on aol.com originally from the New York Times. Very interesting info on rogue waves and what we now know about them and what we don't know.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/rogue-giants-at-sea/20060711133409990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Good stuff. I remember an incident in the early 90s when one of the carriers was hit by a rogue wave and it swept at least one guy overboard who was standing on one of the elevators. There was also one featured in an episode of "Deadliest Catch."

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
[partial threadjack]

"Rogue Waves'. See what a generation or two will do to our perceptions .... ??? I first thought the thread referenced something along this line:

wingo009.jpg

[back on course]

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I'm not sure I understand.

These occur in storm conditions, or do they just pop up a la Poseidon??

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
They occur in storms and from other things getting together at the right time and place (swell, wave frequency, and most importantly winds). The southern most air flow pattern has no continental barriers so the speeds pick up to very high speeds. In addition with no breaks the water currents can move pretty fast, together that is where you find by far the most frequent occurances of rogue waves.

I guess that was the first time I have put a general education class to use... Earth System Science 3 - Oceanography.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
[partial threadjack]

"Rogue Waves'. See what a generation or two will do to our perceptions .... ??? I first thought the thread referenced something along this line:

wingo009.jpg

[back on course]

WOW...
That's the hottest navy enlisted chick I have seen yet!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Pitty that she's about 70 years old at this point.

Then again, if that's your thing....

Try @ 85 years old ... and allow me to let YOU in on a little secret. 65 years from now her present-day counterpart will dump you like a bad habit ... :)