• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Root Canal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent00JP

What is the deal with NAMI and root canals? I have to have some bad dental work redone (by a different dentist) and there is a possibility that I could need a root canal. Any help or experience will be appreciated.

JP

rhollin1

I had a root canal done with I was enlisted and they screwed it up. I had to go back over and over and finally after the third visit they got it right. That was the most pain that I think I have ever had to go through. If you can afford it, go to a civilian dentist. Honestly I think that they use us as guinea pigs. There was a senior and a Jr. officer in there during my first visit and the Jr. officer was performing the dental work. I could tell by his frustrations that he wasn't getting it right. At the time I didn't say anything because being an E-2, what could you say. If I could go back I would have said...ummm no! I want someone that knows what they are doing. I went to a civilian dentist when I got out and he had to "undo" what the Navy dentist did. He said that the job he did was the worst he had seen in his 25 years in the industry. Now it's alright though.

jjitaly2001

I've been told that if you need dental work, you should get it done before you get to OCS. Apparently, they're not that good at it there. You want to go no dental problems.

rhollin is right, there are some poor Navy dentists. I've had several good ones, but just as many bad ones. Good Luck.

John - OCS 07 December

WFU2USN

I spent about $5,000 (1/2 insurance, 1/2 my dime) last year fixing a root canal (and it's other negative effects on my other teeth) that the Navy messed up.

Be very cautious with Navy dental - I've had some good dentists, but I wasn't happy about spending all that $$$!

Kraftwerk

Had that happen to me. A bad civillian fill job had to be root canaled, and they did the drillling with a temp filling during week six, and then they finished it during week 10. Navy dental is the most painless dental experience this officer candidate ever had, and I've been to 40,000 ft with the fill job and it worked just fine.

K

JayManC

Navy medical at its finest, I live not to far from Portsmouth Naval Hospital and thank god I've never ended up there, they've never lived down the time that the guy ended up getting a staph infection after brain surgery

<insert something witty here:>

Status
Not open for further replies.