• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RPG Defense For helicopters

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
That sounds like an extra 300 lbs of gadgetry we'll carry, which equals one less "customer."

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Just out of curiousity, how many helos have radar? Unless its a package deal with these nets.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Just out of curiousity, how many helos have radar? Unless its a package deal with these nets.

I would imagine this would require a dedicated radar, probably very short wavelength to direct the system. Even helos with radar don't have the kind that could detect an RPG, and even if they did, it's pointed forward, vice the sides and rear.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
And power requirements. And weight. And antenna issues. And space. And.....

For Navy helos, it has to integrate with the 60R/S MC and play nice with the other kids on the (data) bus in addition to the issues above. It looks cool on paper, but I don't even have a guess as to how much money we would have to chuck at it first.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
That sounds like an extra 300 lbs of gadgetry we'll carry, which equals one less "customer."

How long before Representative Schmuckatelli demands the installation of these "whatever the cost" because it's "for the troops"?