• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rudy Guiliani

USMC_NA

I'm curious as to what others out there think about Giuliani for president. Please post your thoughts. Thanks.

ps. I've never started a thread, so if this is the wrong category or something is incorrect, please advise.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know much about where he stands on issues, but I, for one, can appreciate his moderate position on social issues. If the single issue conservatives can get over their hang-up about abortion - an issue which is not likely to change anytime soon anyways, perhaps we can get back to a government that is fiscally responsible AND strong on national security issues. Honestly, Iraq has been an unmitigated disaster and we're going to need a CinC with a more enlightened view and fewer yes-men than we've had in recent years.

Brett

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
As with Brett, I'm not sure where he stands on the big issues that are going to be brought up during the campaign. I do, however, like the fact that he did what needed to be done in New York whether it helped his poll numbers or not (most of the time not, I would speculate.) We'll see how he, and his past, hold up once the real mud slinging gets underway. It should be an interesting year.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Gutsy, did a fantastic job when he was in NY (more than anyone else post-9/11).

That being said:

1. He will have a hard time getting the nomination due to the tremendous pull of the fundamentalist Pro-life wing of the party.

2. New York (esp New York city) just does not play that well in much of the country.

3. He sometimes comes off a little dry when speechifying...not huge in the charisma department.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
2. New York (esp New York city) just does not play that well in much of the country.
What happens when it comes to choosing one of two are from New York (we all know that Hillary isnt from, which still confuses me how is she a senator from that state ...).

While I find myself very much conservative on many social issues, I still would perfer a more moderate guy in office. I just dont like the governement getting into personal business at all. I have always been a fan of Rudy ever since I read his book a few years ago. He seems like a guy who has some fresh ideas, a different approach (which has proven sucessful in the Big Apple) and he is a Washington outsider. Im more than ready to vote for a moderate (socially) Republican.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
February 7th, 2007

“[T]he National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), reminded America’s sportsmen and gun-enthusiasts of the former mayor’s record of hostility toward firearms and gun-owners” in a press release issued Tuesday.

“Recent remarks indicate the mayor is attempting to camouflage his record on guns — a political maneuver now common for politicians seeking national office,” said Lawrence G. Keane, NSSF senior vice president and general counsel.

Giuliani addressed the issue on Hannity and Colmes Monday:

HANNITY: Let me move on. And the issue of guns has come up a lot. When people talk about Mayor Giuliani, New York City had some of the toughest gun laws in the entire country. Do you support the right of people to carry handguns?

GIULIANI: I understand the Second Amendment. I support it. People have the right to bear arms. When I was mayor of New York, I took over at a very, very difficult time. We were averaging about 2,000 murders a year, 10,000…

HANNITY: You inherited those laws, the gun laws in New York?

GIULIANI: Yes, and I used them. I used them to help bring down homicide. We reduced homicide, I think, by 65-70 percent. And some of it was by taking guns out of the streets of New York City.

So if you’re talking about a city like New York, a densely populated area like New York, I think it’s appropriate. You might have different laws other places, and maybe a lot of this gets resolved based on different states, different communities making decisions. After all, we do have a federal system of government in which you have the ability to accomplish that.

HANNITY: So you would support the state’s rights to choose on specific gun laws?

GIULIANI: Yes, I mean, a place like New York that is densely populated, or maybe a place that is experiencing a serious crime problem, like a few cities are now, kind of coming back, thank goodness not New York, but some other cities, maybe you have one solution there and in another place, more rural, more suburban, other issues, you have a different set of rules.

HANNITY: But generally speaking, do you think it’s acceptable if citizens have the right to carry a handgun?

GIULIANI: It’s not only — I mean, it’s part of the Constitution. People have the right to bear arms. Then the restrictions of it have to be reasonable and sensible. You can’t just remove that right. You’ve got to regulate, consistent with the Second Amendment.

HANNITY: How do you feel about the Brady bill and assault ban?

GIULIANI: I was in favor of that as part of the crime bill. I was in favor of it because I thought that it was necessary both to get the crime bill passed and also necessary with the 2,000 murders or so that we were looking at, 1,800, 1,900, to 2,000 murders, that I could use that in a tactical way to reduce crime. And I did.

--------------------------------------------

Gun control lawsuit

On June 20, 2000, Giuliani announced that the City of New York had filed a lawsuit against two dozen major gun manufacturers and distributors.[16] The lawsuit was made moot when President Bush signed the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act in October 2005 which gave gun companies protection from liability.[17]

I'm no one issue voter but this is core enough to belief to say just say no to Rudy

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Pugs' sentiment, widely shared amongst the GOP base, along with the rather scandalous personal life that Guiliani has led will most likely result in him not getting the GOP nomination. He could change the course of debate a bit, but I see him getting the McCain-in-South-Carolina-circa-2000 treatment.

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
I'm no one issue voter but this is core enough to belief to say just say no to Rudy

This is one of my most important issues as well, however we must consider the alternative ...

Hillary on Guns
* Keep guns away from people who shouldn’t have them. (Sep 2000)
* Limit access to weapons; look for early warning signs. (Sep 2000)
* License and register all handgun sales. (Jun 2000)
* Tough gun control keeps guns out of wrong hands. (Jul 1999)
* Gun control protects our children. (Jul 1999)
* Don’t water down sensible gun control legislation. (Jul 1999)
* Lock up guns; store ammo separately. (Jun 1999)
* Ban kids’ unsupervised access to guns. (Jun 1999)
* Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)
* Voted NO on banning lawsuits against gun manufacturers for gun violence. (Mar 2004)
Source :http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Hillary_Clinton.htm

That sure all sounds nice, especially what I put in bold ... :confused:
We have seen what the Clintons have done with guns in the past, I can't imagine Hillary is going to take a different road. Im willing to take a chance on Rudy vs the status quo Clintons.

s/f

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
This is one of my most important issues as well, however we must consider the alternative ...

Source :http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Hillary_Clinton.htm

That sure all sounds nice, especially what I put in bold ... :confused:
We have seen what the Clintons have done with guns in the past, I can't imagine Hillary is going to take a different road. Im willing to take a chance on Rudy vs the status quo Clintons.

s/f

I think he means it'll cost Rudy the nomination, not the general election. Besides, Richardson, Edwards, or Obama could end up getting the democratic nomination.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think he means it'll cost Rudy the nomination, not the general election. Besides, Richardson, Edwards, or Obama could end up getting the democratic nomination.
And there's a whole nother can of worms. Keep in mind that Senator Obama is on record as supporting a ban on semi-automatic weapons. Yes, you read that right. As much as I support his desire to bring civility and respect back into the national discussion, policy-wise he flat out scares me. He's more liberal than he is being given credit for. It's odd. Clinton has really moved to the center since being elected Senator, and is being portrayed as a left-wing loony. Obama is being portayed as a Great Uniter like JFK, and is by voting record very far to the left.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
And there's a whole nother can of worms. Keep in mind that Senator Obama is on record as supporting a ban on semi-automatic weapons. Yes, you read that right. As much as I support his desire to bring civility and respect back into the national discussion, policy-wise he flat out scares me. He's more liberal than he is being given credit for. It's odd. Clinton has really moved to the center since being elected Senator, and is being portrayed as a left-wing loony. Obama is being portayed as a Great Uniter like JFK, and is by voting record very far to the left.

People are falling in love with Obama. I admit, he's got a good story, but not much else. His lack of experience both domestically and his absolute dearth of any foreign policy experience is inexcusable for a president to have, whereas Bill Richardson is quite the opposite, yet attracts none of the votes.

As far as Rudy goes... I'd vote for him but I'd vote for other Republicans over him too... We'll see how it goes.

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
Obama seems to always get a pass by the 'drive-by media'. I found it interesting today hearing quotes on talk radio by him from circa 2004 saying he would never run for Pres because he has nowhere near the expirence or knowledge it takes to run the country. Another quote circa 2005 has him being asked specifically "Will you run in '08 ... is there any chance of you running" and him saying 'no-way'. Wonder what changed his mind, what knowledge he feels he has acquired and why he gets a pass on these ... so far. If it goes nose to nose with him and Hillary, the Clinton machine will dig up anything and everything. Should be fun to watch :D