• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Run at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
What's the PFT run like at OCS? Do you run laps on a track or a sidewalk course or do you run a mile and a half down and back again on a road? Right now I run a sub 20 minute 3 mile, I max out on crunches and almost maxing the pullups as well (about 18 or 19 right now). I'm applying for the OCC 187 class so I've got some time, but I want to knock my PFT out of the park and avoid the SI's wrath as much as possible.

Crowbar

None
The PFT at OCS is a 3/4 mile loop around Penny Lane and the parade deck. So you will run it four times.

If OCC works the way Bulldog does, you won't even meet your Plt Staff until after the initial PFT. So kicking hiney on the initial PFT run won't make a bit of difference with your Sgt Instuctors. Plus, you may be one of those people who can run a 4 minute mile in PT gear, but turns into a sloth with boots on, and the majority of what you do for PT is in boots/utes.

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
Yeah what about that. I've heard the average pace for the formation runs are about 8 minute miles, but wasn't sure. I'm planning to get my boots sometime in the next month to give myself ample time to train in them if I'm selected for the fall.

Crowbar

None
For OCC starting off it probably is ~8 minutes (OCC guys let me know if I'm wrong here), our pace for Bulldog varied but by the 2nd week we were at about 7:00-7:30 in boots. It sucked. Start running in boots as soon as you can. Not just to get your body used to the extra effort you'll expend trying to keep up but so your feet don't go into shock.

"These boots are made for walking..." not running.

reapergm

Weird question, but can you bring/wear insoles in your boots? Like the kind they sell at sport shops, or foot locker. I have this pair that sucks in the shock. Like walking on air, even in boots.

manny7_99

Sure

reapergm said:
Weird question, but can you bring/wear insoles in your boots? Like the kind they sell at sport shops, or foot locker. I have this pair that sucks in the shock. Like walking on air, even in boots.

Yeah! I would think so, in fact I am almost sure.....IF YOU ARE IN THE AIR FORCE!!! :D :D :D
S/F

~Manny :eek:

charger

They give you a pair of insoles to use, or you can bring your own. My OSO just told me to go get some spenco insoles.

Crowbar

None
We got issued a pair of Dr Scholls Advantage Sports, and all my boots I took already had insoles in them. This year I'm going with a pair in my running shoes, 2 pairs for boots, and 1 spare pair. Your insoles will get just as disgusting as your boots during IMC/Quigley/E-Course days.

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
I should have asked this earlier, but exactly how far are the formation runs? I'm assuming you start OCS running somewhere around 3 miles, but how long do the runs get at the end?

3000GT06

PLC Seniors 2nd Incr.
When I was there I dont think we ran more than 4 or 5 miles.
However I hear (as I am going to seniors this summer) that you can run as much as 13 miles in one or two days during SULE II. 1 mile to an LRC problem and 1 mile back to SULE for until your whole squad has finished. But again that is jusr hearsay. I do not recall running more than 4 or 5 while at juniors.

RyanVR

Taken from One of Us by Jack Ruppert pg 62-63:

E-mail from male TBS second lieutenant to OSO about SULE II:

"As with most exercises at OCS, the less one participated and the less enthusiastic one was in tackling the challenges, the more painful SULE II became... Our platoon was strong and this made things much less painful than they could have been.

We returned from a 24-hour liberty at 1600 Sunday afternoon, went to chow, and then hit the rack at 2000. For the most part, the mood was one of excitement and anticipation, rather than one of dread. The lights went on at 0100 and we fell out with full packs for our night hump... This was to be an 10-mile affair and, although not as difficult as the previous 11 and 15-mile humps, it was crazy shuffling along in almost total darkness. The only thin gi could see was a faint hint of the white nametape [on the back] of the guy ahead of me. We had to rely more on sound than on sight to stay aligned...I found myself able to take 30 second catnaps here and there during teh straighter parts of the hump while keeping my left hand on the pack of the candidate ahead of me. Other candidates had problems, one falling and losing his rifle in the woods. The entire company was halted for a good twenty minutes while the staff doubled back to look for (and find) the weapon... Sleep was definately at a premium. Any opportunity I had to shut my eyes for any length of time, i took advantage of. Luckily, as I said, we had a good platoon that worked well together. Because of this the squad operations were superb. With few exceptions, we moved quickly and well during each movement and, as a result, generally had about an hour of wait time between each movement. This wait time equaled sleep time for us candidates...

The hardest parts were the LRC runs. These consisted of running in fire teams from the top of Fartlek Hill down to the LRC area. There we would complete an LRC exercise and then run back to Fartlek Hill on an elongated route over very hilly terrain. The LRC exercise itself took ten minutes, with around five more minutes of wait time. The kicker was that the entire run, totalling a good six miles, had to be compelted in a total of forty minutes or less by the entire fire team, running in full combat gear. I was in a good, motivated fire time and, even in our worst run (we did the six miles four times) we managed to finish with a good four minutes to spare.

Day Three was the worst. Nothing too physically strenuous in its own right but by then everyon was so beat up that it all hurt...Finally, the hcoppers came and whisked us away to TBS. The ride was ten minutes of fun but then we were back on the ground again, preparing to run the TBS 'washboard,' one-and-a-half miles of steep, hilly terrain, with two 80 pound ammunition crates per squad. When we were done with that, we ran the TBS NATO obstable course, still with the ammo crates, and I refelcted that it would be fun to run if I were more coherrent and my legs would stop throbbing.

Everyone was so focused on the NATO course, which we'd been told was our last event, that no one noticed the platoons ahead of us RUNNING away afterwards. For me, this was the kill. I'd given it all I had. but when the NATO course ended I was beat and didn't want to go any further. Still, the staff formed us up into platton formation, right faced us, and gave the command. 'Double time! March!' I was horrified. I started to hobble ahead, putting one leg in front of the other, waving the candidates behind me past. then i heard Sergeant [name] single me out. 'You gotta be ****ting me, [name]!' And so, somewhere I found the strength to pick it up. It couldn't have been more than a mile over to TBS but it was one of the longest miles I'd ever run. Finally, we were there, looking nasty as hell, and after a short breif by the CO of TBS, we hit the chow hall. And then, it was all better."

:eek:

Ryan Von Rembow
PLC 186-C candidate

stevew

what is this new event "SULE X" that they have added? Details from anyone who was in 185 would be apprediated.

RyanVR

First i'll preface this with the obvious fact that i wasn't in 185:

But if i had to guess, i'd bet it is an actual operation that the candidates plan and then execute. With the staff as the OPFOR maybe? I saw some of those pictures they had before the OCS website was messed up but i can't remember exactly what they had in them.

That would be my guess based on no other knowledge ha. It would test land nav, squad tactics, and awesome-atude.

I'm probably completely wrong but i'm just a nasty civilian right now so i have an excuse,
Ryan Von Rembow
PLC 186-c candidate

JarHead100583

My OSO informed me the it is an experimental graded event. They started it in OCC-184 I believe. The 'X' stands for the experimental and it is based on SULE II, but I have veen told that it is harder and more intense.

If we are lucky then maybe they got rid of it for OCC-186, but if we arent lucky then we are stuck with it. See you guys in 2 weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.