• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

running surfaces at OCS

michaels601

Simba Barracuda.
dorky question, but i'm picking up a new pair of running shoes tomorrow and i wasn't sure how much of what we run is going to be on pavement and how much is trail. i know a lot of the running is boots and utes, so am i better off getting sneakers that i plan to keep on the road or ones that would be better suited off?

Crowbar

None
Most running is done, like you said, in boots and utes. Mostly on trails. The few times we ran in PT gear were the initial and final PFTs (about 50/50 paved/gravel). We also did one or two individual runs (on trails) and the moto run (all paved), all within the last week or two. Seems like we might have done one other run in PT gear because it rained like hell overnight and we couldn't do the O course. So we ran the trails in PT gear. That's about it.

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
when did u goto OCS?? Im not questioning your expertise in this subject, actually got me nervous. But a buddy of mine who went last year (Srs), and one thats there right now (Srs), said it was about the same as Jrs as to running in PT gear or Boots 'n Utes. Cuz Im headed off to Echo in 4 days and I've barely done ne running in Boots

Crowbar

None
I was in Golf Company twice (due to injury) 2nd increment 2003 and 1st increment 2004. Golf and Echo do almost exactly the same schedule. All the PLC people I know say Jrs is six weeks of happy fun time compared to Srs, so be prepared.

Tulman737

there are trails that you will be running on, but its not going to make a difference wether you have trail shoes or running shoes. i would just go with a good pair of running shoes, it does not hurt to have two pair though, becuase it's nice haveing a dry pair, but that is totally up to you

shimbo

When I went to seniors last year, I was told that we would hit the ground running in boots and utes. Lo and behold, we were in go-fasters for most of the first 2 weeks we were there. I felt that there was enough transition time from running in go-fasters to boots and utes. However, that does not mean you shouldn't have been running in boots. Getting your legs accustomed to the shock of running in boots is key to prevention of common injuries. I suggest, though, that you break in your new go-fasters and boots as quick as possible. (EDIT: just saw that you are leaving in 4 days, not much time...)
While having two pairs of go-fasters would have been nice, especially after running in rain storms, but come inspection time and you have two pair of go-fasters, you gotta stash one pair somewhere and believe me, there aint no place to hide'em. Just find a pair that is light and has a material that does not soak up water as much.

CTE83

One pair of go-fasters is more than adequate for 6 weeks. Just replace the insoles mid-way through. You won't be running more than 300 miles in your go fasters while you're there, which is the limit for most insoles.

zuggerat

i run in sand.. i feel like that would be good training for running in boots because it gives way when u stride and makes it harder to keep a heel -> toe form... would i be wrong in assuming this?

CTE83

zuggerat said:
i run in sand.. i feel like that would be good training for running in boots because it gives way when u stride and makes it harder to keep a heel -> toe form... would i be wrong in assuming this?

Regarding running surfaces....

From www.runnersworld.com

Pros: Sand gives an opportunity to run barefoot in an pleasant environment. Running through dunes provides good resistance training and strengthens the legs.

Cons: Despite being great for building leg strength, the softness of the sand means a higher risk of Achilles tendon injury. Also, though the sand is firmer at the water’s edge [assuming you run at the beach], the tilt of the surface puts uneven stresses on the body. And while it’s tempting to run barefoot, watch out for blisters.

Personally, I prefer running on asphalt & concrete. Interestingly, concrete got one of the lowest ratings b/c of the shock on the body it causes. :(

Here's the article I cited about running surfaces

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=152

Seniors this Sunday! errr kill.

zuggerat

CTE83 said:
Regarding running surfaces....

From www.runnersworld.com

Pros: Sand gives an opportunity to run barefoot in an pleasant environment. Running through dunes provides good resistance training and strengthens the legs.

Cons: Despite being great for building leg strength, the softness of the sand means a higher risk of Achilles tendon injury. Also, though the sand is firmer at the water’s edge [assuming you run at the beach], the tilt of the surface puts uneven stresses on the body. And while it’s tempting to run barefoot, watch out for blisters.

Personally, I prefer running on asphalt & concrete. Interestingly, concrete got one of the lowest ratings b/c of the shock on the body it causes. :(

Here's the article I cited about running surfaces

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=152

Seniors this Sunday! errr kill.

interesting...very interesting

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
The hard part bio-mech wise of running in boots is three-fold.

1) They inhibit ankle movement, and prevent your calf from giving the spring you are probably used to running.

2) The soles aren't good for running. They provide less cushioning, little roll, and less rebound.

3) Weight. They are heavy and mess with your stride and quicken fatigue.

Really, the best way to train for running in boots is to do just that: run in boots. Even walking in them often helps your feet/legs adjust to the way they will affect you.

prior_devil

The only time that you'll be glad to have a good pair of boots is on one of those wonderful 25-30 mile humps the marine infantry at pendleton is so famous for(if you are a or are going p.o.g. then don't stress). Of course this has nothing to do with running in boots but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I despise running in boots but if thats what I have to look forward too then yippee-ki-yay. Although I think the worst thing one could do to their bodies is willingly run in boots in sand. That just sounds frickin painful.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Crowbar is right. I just returned from Seniors. Almost all the PT is in the tree line and therefore in boots and utes. The only events that weren't were the PFT's, 3, 4, and 5 mile individual runs, and the fartlek we ran instead of the "O" course due to rain. I didn't run once in boots before shipping in May and did fine.