• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rusky NAVAIR

King_Tut

hmmm....I just noticed they had a lip on their carrier....does that affect take-off positively or negatively? I would assume that it would slow you down if you were trying to go up the lip.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
It's a ramp, not a lip....

Lips:

lip_balm_gloss_skin_cancer.jpg

Ramps:

both_ramps_june.jpg

Use a little common sense....if they built the ship to launch airplanes, why would they build a ramp on the bow if it had an adverse effect on launching airplanes?

King_Tut

It's a ramp, not a lip....

Lips:

lip_balm_gloss_skin_cancer.jpg

Ramps:

both_ramps_june.jpg

Use a little common sense....if they built the ship to launch airplanes, why would they build a ramp on the bow if it had an adverse effect on launching airplanes?

I guess it is wrong to ask why they built a ramp on their carriers and how it helps...

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Were the Ruskies trying to go for quality like this:

David Bowie just doesnt sound the same in Russian I guess.....FAIL

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I guess it is wrong to ask why they built a ramp on their carriers and how it helps...

Not wrong to ask but then again you didnt ask HOW it helps. Just that you thought it would slow it down. Also, dont take responses like that as a shot at you. It was just addressing your post, nothing more.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
That theme music absolutley sucked. I'd rather jerk off a bobcat in a phone booth than have to listen to that again.

^Future Flanker pilots!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

They don't use catapults so they need the ramp to provide the extra 'ompf' for the planes to get off the deck.

The simple way to explain it is that they basically have retractable chocks/blocks that hold the aircraft wheels in place at the bottom of the ramp. The aircraft goes to takeoff power and when they are ready they chocks/blocks are retracted into the deck and the plane accelerates up the ramp and takes off.

The reason they did this is that it is a lot easier to do than designing, building and operating catapults along with modifying aircraft to use them. There is a reason we are the only ones left in the world that make them (the French CVN Charles de Gaulle uses American made catapults) and everyone else uses ski ramps. The expense and complexity is just too much for the rest to bother with. The INS Vikramaditya, India's modified Kiev-class CV that is being modified by the Russians, will use the same system.

The penalty to using this system is that the aircraft can only take off with much lighter loads, the Su-33's and Su-25's (only used as trainers) off the Admiral Kuznetsov are limited in how much fuel and ordnance they can carry.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
The penalty to using this system is that the aircraft can only take off with much lighter loads, the Su-33's and Su-25's (only used as trainers) off the Admiral Kuznetsov are limited in how much fuel and ordnance they can carry.

That seems like a high price to pay for a some technical work that has been around since the '50's! It's just a $$$ issue then?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That seems like a high price to pay for a some technical work that has been around since the '50's! It's just a $$$ issue then?

Just because it has been around for a while doesn't mean it is not hard to make or maintain. One thing to keep in mind when comparing the US to other military forces, especially those of potential adversaries, is that we maintain our equipment very well. When dealing with the lowest common denominator in the Soviet Navy, a peasant conscript, you can easily see why they chose the easy way.

And be careful to assume that everyone will use carriers the same way we do, both from a practical and strategic sense. The simple fact that they can operate a carrier now is an achievement in itself for the Russians.