• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Russian Navy to buy French ships...

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Well, it might not have the capability of a WASP class, it is certainly alot better than what they have now. 40 minutes vice 26 hours is a pretty damned good improvement.

I'm just surprised that Russia has ZERO large amphibious assualt vessels. Even with their recent draw-down, it would seem prudent to have something with which to land troops on a large scale.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's one thing to buy a nice toy, it's another to actually use it properly. If it is anything like how they operate the Kuznetsov it ain't too much to worry about. That is, unless you are Georgia. :eek:

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
The French ship is more similar to an LPD than an LHA, n'cest-pas?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My question is, even if the Russians were to buy the Mistrel (and from what I read they would build more) what use would they be except in places where the Russians can provide land based air support?

It gives them another option to move men and material. A good example is Georgia, where the vast majority of men and material going from Russia into South Ossetia has to go through a single tunnel. Cut the tunnel off and South Ossetia is isolated from Russia. An amphibious assault ship gives them another option and presents a big problem to whoever finds one sitting off their coast, you have to honor the threat.

It also gives them a platform from which to cruise around the world and take part in exercises, relief and contigency ops. Much like the French and the Brits and us do right now with our ships. Whether or not they can actually do that is another story.

BigRed389

None
It's one thing to buy a nice toy, it's another to actually use it properly. If it is anything like how they operate the Kuznetsov it ain't too much to worry about. That is, unless you are Georgia. :eek:

I've got a fellow JO who managed to cross deck to one of their DDs when they did a Black Sea cruise on a previous deployment.

<Terrible Russian accent>: In Soviet Russia, pier security keeps people IN!

They also tried to "interrogate" him to find out about US DDG ASW capabilities. Fortunately, at the time he was a stupid Ensign who didn't know anything.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Well, it might not have the capability of a WASP class, it is certainly alot better than what they have now. 40 minutes vice 26 hours is a pretty damned good improvement.

No no, you misread it. 40min is how quickly it can load a retreating army.