• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Russian Rescue Sub is, er, Rescued

helldog

Hey all, the British Scorpio remote sub cut the Russian sub free, and all 7 crew were saved...bloody good show, brits! Anyway, the USAF made it to Kamchatka with their payload of rescue craft and crew, but were not needed. This incident reminded me of an ambulance I saw in an accident once being seen to by an ambulance...who rescues the rescuer? Good thing the flying services have plenty of choppers and skilled pilots, but the navies of the West as well as Russia are realizing new contingencies for these anomolies are needed. Glad our Galaxies were on top of it. Global reach, global power and all that.

http://www.indepundit.com/archive2/loadingsub.jpg

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Fly Navy said:
Now let's re-tap their cables ;)

Speaking of that, have you ever read Blind Man's Bluff? Great book about sub espionage, including tapping cables.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sure have, awesome book. Someone should be in jail for giving up all that info too.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
... jail ...

Well, it was the 1990, USSR was gone, we had no enemies, or so the left said.

Well, the co-authors Sontgag and Drew went to the Navy, told them of the book they planned to write, asked the Navy for cooperation in finding some of the folks that had been involved, that they could interview.

Well, the Navy formulated a list, wrote to all on the list explaining to us that we could choose to talk to the authors or not, our choice. Navy then gave the list to the authors.

Well, the letter to the individuals sounded as if permission was granted to talk about ANYTHING. (since we no longer had enemies, of course). Some took the opportunity to talk about everything they knew.

Well, the authors took their treasure trove back to the Navy for clearance, as agreed. I am told there was absolute pandemonium within OPNAV. But it was too late. Brass decided it could not try to suppress. After all, it was the late 1990s and we had no enemies, of course.

Oh, Fly, the taps are on the Sea of Okhotsk side. Pacific Ocean side is too deep.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
The Chief said:
Oh, Fly, the taps are on the Sea of Okhotsk side. Pacific Ocean side is too deep.

I heard a story (in the context of the "to-be rescued sub") about the tapping of that cable in which the sub's skipper was a former river boat pilot on the Mississippi, where apparently, there a lots of signs that say "Danger: High Voltage" where various cables enter the water. Story goes: the way they found the Okhotsk cable was by looking for a such a sign at the water's edge... and they did.

Any truth to that?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
eddie said:
I heard a story (in the context of the "to-be rescued sub") about the tapping of that cable in which the sub's skipper was a former river boat pilot on the Mississippi, where apparently, there a lots of signs that say "Danger: High Voltage" where various cables enter the water. Story goes: the way they found the Okhotsk cable was by looking for a such a sign at the water's edge... and they did.

Any truth to that?

Yes, there was a sign.

What's even better is when they found our tap, how they knew it was our's. It said "Property of the US Government" on it.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
What's even better is when they found our tap, how they knew it was our's. It said "Property of the US Government" on it.

Yeah, heard that part too. But really, would anyone else have put it there? :icon_smil