• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

S-3B FRS Closes

GiveLT21DaBall

July 27, 2006

Squadron to be decommissioned

NORTH ISLAND NAVAL AIR STATION – Sea Control Squadron 41 will be decommissioned in a ceremony today at North Island Naval Air Station, marking the end of West Coast operations by the Navy's S-3B Viking aircraft.

Cmdr. Gary Wilson commands the eight-aircraft group, which is the last of five S-3B squadrons at North Island to retire its colors since 2004. It was commissioned June 30, 1960, as an undersea warfare squadron, then lost its antisubmarine mission after the end of the Cold War. Afterword, it worked primarily on ocean surveillance and aerial refueling.
The Navy is handing over those jobs to the SH-60 R/S Seahawk helicopter and the F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet fighter jet. The four remaining S-3B squadrons, all in Jacksonville, Fla., will be decommissioned by 2009, according to a Navy news release.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060727/news_1m27briefs.html

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
The Navy is handing over those jobs to the SH-60 R/S Seahawk helicopter and the F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet fighter jet.

The MH-60S is not doing ASW, ocean surveillance, or aerial refueling. However, the MH-60R is. So much for a Navy news release.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The CH-60S is not doing ASW, ocean surveillance, or aerial refueling. So much for a Navy news release.

Thought it was MH-60S, at least that's what they called it at HC-3 4 years ago... did it change?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The Hoover was a blast to fly and I am going to miss it.
I probably won't miss it quite as much as you ... I didn't share deck space with the S-3 on any of my cruises, but unfortunately, I did have to exist next to it during a stay @ the Del Coronado.

One of my uncles was the VP for Sales at the hotel and got us the "Bridal Suite" for five days @ $70/day (circled -- both doors on balcony -left bedroom, right sitting room :)) ... a very good deal at the time as the room was then going for @ $700/day. I would stand on the balcony in the early evening --- swathed in my Hotel Del robe and puffing on a cigar with the obligatory accompanying beverage appropriate to the setting. My best immitation of George Hamilton. Meanwhile, the "little people" would walk past below looking up ... like they thought I was a Hollywood big shot or something ... ?? :)

But Hoovers, you say ??? Annoying.
I'm surprised the "real" Hollywood big shots didn't scream about it -- they probably did.The S-3's kept disturbing my blissful state of mind by going right by the balcony on their way to RW 36 @ NZY with that comical "whoooosh"ing sound they made/make when the guys were jerking the PCL's around.

My blushing new bride was starting to think all Naval aircraft of the jet variety sounded like that ... very embarrassing for me. And after all the machismo stories I had regaled her with regarding Naval Aviation ... very emasculating for me as well. :eek:

S3Dude

pilot
If they all sounded like Hoovers maybe the vast majority of "jets" wouldn't be relegated to places like Lemoore. Plus Hoovers are the only aircraft at NZY that are waivered to 400kts in the break, although that takes a little creativity sometimes.

By the way, if they were "whoooshing" over the Del they were probably headed for RWY 29. It's a South facing beach so it can be a little deceiving.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If they all sounded like Hoovers maybe the vast majority of "jets" wouldn't be relegated to places like Lemoore. Plus Hoovers are the only aircraft at NZY that are waivered to 400kts in the break, although that takes a little creativity sometimes.

By the way, if they were "whoooshing" over the Del they were probably headed for RWY 29. It's a South facing beach so it can be a little deceiving.
Naaa .... encroachment is encroachment .... on jets, props, or helos airfields. The problem is UNCLE has some of the most desireable properties in the world --- from a developer's point of view. :)

The 400 KIAS limit must be a relatively (?) recent creation --- but then again, we never paid too much attention to details like that back-in-the-day in any case ... :)

I think you are right on the runway --- I was just a teenager in LOVE on my 2nd honeymoon ... and as a result, most everthing was 360 . :)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
[[/B]The S-3's kept disturbing my blissful state of mind by going right by the balcony on their way to RW 36 @ NZY with that comical "whoooosh"ing sound they made/make when the guys were jerking the PCL's around.

Actually, you didn't even have to move the PCLs for those GEs to start whoooshing and whining. The A-10 and Canadair RJs have the same motor and they don't make all those unmanly noises. I am convinced that some Lockheed engineer formerly from the VP community simply set us up to sound like fools beccause he knew we would be looking better then any P-3.