• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

S3 deck run launch

orthoguy

Hey fellas,

I'm trying to find information concerning the S3 deck launch (Without a cat) that took place a number of years ago. Can any of you point me towards it?

Thanks a bunch,

Charles

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A deck run Hoov launch? Not that I ever heard of. They have launched while the Boat was at anchor - maybe that's what you heard about?

sten-s3off.jpg

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Technically, you could have also recovered a Hoov pier-side. If memory serves correctly, the required head wind (RHW) was -3 knots. Just because you could, not sure it ever happened - Bueller?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Viking had the tables in NATOPS to compute a deck launch, but I don't know of it ever happening. And for recovery, -4 kts wind over the deck required. That happened a lot in CVOA 4 (it sucked).

darrylcn

I think is was TR that was here in Halifax years ago and someone I know mentioned they were shooting planes as they were leaving. I was never sure if it was possible or not, good to know it was.