• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Salt Lake City mall shooting

Skeet

Banned
Damn, another idiot proves his IQ. He killed 5 shoppers and wounded 4. hxxp://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070213/ap_on_re_us/utah_shooting

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Damn, another idiot proves his IQ. He killed 5 shoppers and wounded 4. hxxp://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070213/ap_on_re_us/utah_shooting

And it goes to show how useless a ban on weapons with an arbitrary mix of cosmetic features defining what is/is not banned - In this case the thug in question used shotgun.

Now if an local citizen with CCW was around, this could have ended another way.

What happens when someone tries an organized terrorist initiated mall shooting using the same scenario in one of the later Tom Clancy books?

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
My wife used to live right across the street from that place (Trolley Square Mall). In fact we had our first date there. Its a pretty nice place. A little Ritzy in fact.

RunninUte

Ute Nation
I was in the bar "Green Street" that is on the west side of Trolly Square. It was pretty crazy down there.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I never made it to that bar. If its the one I am thinking of then it was a little too posh for myself. She lived there a few years ago. Port O' Call is nice and also enjoyed laughing at the crowd at Area 51.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
And it goes to show how useless a ban on weapons with an arbitrary mix of cosmetic features defining what is/is not banned - In this case the thug in question used shotgun.

What happens when someone tries an organized terrorist initiated mall shooting using the same scenario in one of the later Tom Clancy books?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/13/salt.lake.shooting.ap/index.html

A local COP with a CCW was around, but couldn't stop the first five from getting killed.

Still, a lot more people probably would have been killed had he not been there.

Rubiks06

pilot

my thoughts exactly..

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I heard this today ... cannot verify it and I'm not "sold" on the source ... and the media, characteristically, is not putting out much info about it .... the kid was a Bosnian ... Muslim.

If true ... there's got to be a "reason" why this particular detail is being ... "not reported on" --- if true ... like I said.

Anyone ... anyone ... ???

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I heard this today ... cannot verify it and I'm not "sold" on the source ... and the media, characteristically, is not putting out much info about it .... the kid was a Bosnian ... Muslim.

If true ... there's got to be a "reason" why this particular detail is being ... "not reported on" --- if true ... like I said.

More details emerging on Trolley Square gunman and victims

"He is a legal permanent resident of the United States," said ICE spokeswoman Virginia Kice. Although his nationality is listed on immigration documents as Croatian, one of Talovic's relatives said they are Bosnian.

Olsen declined to say when Talovic first enrolled or release any other information, saying "We're not going to go into his history."

krchris

If more people had CCW's then things like this and Columbine could be stopped a lot quicker.
Why is it that we want to elect people who don't want the public to have access to hand guns?

Gun Control only take the weapons away from the good guys.

Rubiks06

pilot
If more people had CCW's then things like this and Columbine could be stopped a lot quicker.
Why is it that we want to elect people who don't want the public to have access to hand guns?

I agree, but, Columbine and other school shootings would not have been stopped because most states it is a felony to carry a firearm on school property. I think teachers should all be allowed to carry though, kids are crazy. There was more news on last night about a kid that got off a school bus here in Pensacola and "forgot" his pistol. I remember forgetting my lunchbox on the bus ... He said he accidently brought it to school.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

How are so sure of that? Everyone who has a CCW does not have to go through extensive training on how to employ it in a situation like Columbine and the one in the Utah mall. Are you all forgetting that the guy who stopped the attack was not an average citizen but a cop? I know some people who are licensed to carry and I wouldn't want them getting into a gunfight in a mall or a school, they are idiots. I think A4's is an exception to the rule when it comes to training in such situations among normal citizens, even those with CCW.

Also, another thing to consider is the liability. This being the US I am sure there would be liability concerns if a private citizen engaged in a gun battle with a gunman. What if innocent civilians were killed in the crossfire of the gun battle, especially if they were killed by the civilian who returned fire? What if he or she was grossly negligent? Even if the citizen was not, what is to prevent them from being sued by some money grubbing lawyer? At least with law enforcement personnel there is a lot more recourse in a situation like that.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree, but, Columbine and other school shootings would not have been stopped because most states it is a felony to carry a firearm on school property. I think teachers should all be allowed to carry though, kids are crazy. There was more news on last night about a kid that got off a school bus here in Pensacola and "forgot" his pistol. I remember forgetting my lunchbox on the bus ... He said he accidently brought it to school.

We have already gone over this, it is not going to happen (politically unacceptable to the majority of Americans) so stop whining about it.......:(

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The only things I have seen about the gunman have said he was either Croatian or Bosnian. He could be Muslim Bosniak or an ethnic Croat Bosnian or even an ethnic Serb Bosnian (the country has significant populations of all three). Ethnicity and country are not mutually exclusive in that region, espcially Bosnia.

"Bosniak 48%, Serb 37.1%, Croat 14.3%, other 0.6% (2000)
note: Bosniak has replaced Muslim as an ethnic term in part to avoid confusion with the religious term Muslim - an adherent of Islam
"

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/bk.html

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
We have already gone over this, it is not going to happen (politically unacceptable to the majority of Americans) so stop whining about it.......:(

I think if we let teachers use rulers on fingers and pulling of ears again we wouldnt have kids being the little shits they are .... then again, thats not going to happen either ... we are screwed