• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Saluting Rules Amendment

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now the question becomes: under whose regs? Or else when you're at a basketball game, and the Army or AF guy beside you salutes, you look like a douche.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think if I saluted out of uniform some Master Gunny would jump out of the bushes and knife hand me in the throat not caring what the rules were

http://www.afdw.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123122067

I'd still go by Navy uniform regulations or whatever. Even if this applies to us, it specifically says "may", so I think I'll just stand at attention/hand over heart and the like. Saluting out of uniform just feels wrong.

Stick

pilot
I was told it was put into place mostly for the old guys. I heard they were raisin' hell and wanted it in writing saying they could salute. I don't know true that is though.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
I was told it was put into place mostly for the old guys. I heard they were raisin' hell and wanted it in writing saying they could salute. I don't know true that is though.

Confirmed...I think. Just saw a news bit on it where they were interviewing older vets where they said they don't feel so out of place if they salute now out of uniform.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I saluted at the Veteran's Day ceremony in downtown Annapolis in civies.

Being retired it felt fine.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I'll have to wait till I cross this bridge, being honorably discharged and filled with patriotism I might just stand tall and throw up a salute. I know in that past I have wanted to do this!

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Salute during the national anthem while in civvies at the game? I will probably be too busy beating up the asshole talking on his cell phone or mowing down his nachos during the anthem to salute.

Just kidding...sort of.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Salute during the national anthem while in civvies at the game? I will probably be too busy beating up the asshole talking on his cell phone or mowing down his nachos during the anthem to salute.

Just kidding...sort of.
+1 I agree with you!

Stick

pilot
What happened to taking your hat off and placing your hand over your heart?

You still have that option. Nothing says you must salute when not in uniform.

pourts has it dead on, I get pissed at people when they are a d-bag during the national anthem.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
What happened to taking your hat off and placing your hand over your heart?

You get ingrained to render a hand salute to the colors when covered (and in uniform) while you are on Active Duty. After I got out, it was always my first instinct to hand salute the flag at ball games and such and had to remind myself that I had to do it like the rest of the civilians. Well quite frankly that bugged me. I had my time protecting and serving that flag and would much rather give a hand salute (while covered, of course) then put my hand over my heart like some civilian who has no idea what it is like to serve. I am quite happy with having the option to salute. I'll only do it when covered, otherwise I stand at attention.

Anyone out there remember hearing thiS phrasE during any paRt of thEir training pipeline?:

"look there, look there at the flag you will worship for the rest of your sorry lives"