• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SAR stories

Hair Warrior

Contributor

This one is just survival (no ERE) but kind of crazy that searchers couldn’t find the plane in a clearing after a week. The guy had to walk out on foot.

Also, don’t planes have GPS/ADS-B which - along with ATC - would point searchers to a good grid of where the plane lost contact? I guess that’s all the more reason to keep a PLB in your pocket/backpack whenever you fly.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

This one is just survival (no ERE) but kind of crazy that searchers couldn’t find the plane in a clearing after a week. The guy had to walk out on foot.

Also, don’t planes have GPS/ADS-B which - along with ATC - would point searchers to a good grid of where the plane lost contact? I guess that’s all the more reason to keep a PLB in your pocket/backpack whenever you fly.
Having observed a recent real world SAR in the marshlands of the UP Michigan, and how difficult it was to locate the deceased pilot post ejection, I have a new appreciation for how difficult SAR can be even with ADS-B track data - in this case dense forest/marshland foiled the recovery effort for days and days.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Having observed a recent real world SAR in the marshlands of the UP Michigan, and how difficult it was to locate the deceased pilot post ejection, I have a new appreciation for how difficult SAR can be even with ADS-B track data - in this case dense forest/marshland foiled the recovery effort for days and days.
That’s sad. AFAIK they still haven’t found Felix Moncla or Robert Wilson, who went missing over that area. That part of the world is wilderness. Actually spent a good amount of time on multi-day backpacking trips in the mountains of UP, when I was a kid. Lots of dense forest, marshy areas, and rocky slopes.

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
A small airplane going into thick canopy can just disappear. I don't have a SAR TACAID in front of me but if I recall heavy forest really degrades the probability of detection (or required closer sweeps). Also you'll likely lose ADS-B signal before you hit the ground due to LOS/radar horizon so the plane may still glide/fall for a decent distance before hitting the ground adding uncertainty to the actual end position of the a/c from the last known position.

taxi1

pilot
Sounds like they knew the general area he went down in. He probably thought he was going to be snatched up Any Day Now.

Lesson learned: plan for the long haul, even in short haul situations.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I carry an ACR ResQlink 400 in my flying kit. Most of the places I fly make it unnecessary (unless I crash in @Pags backyard) but it takes a few bucks off my insurance.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I carry an ACR ResQlink 400 in my flying kit. Most of the places I fly make it unnecessary (unless I crash in @Pags backyard) but it takes a few bucks off my insurance.
Pretty sure you're gonna use that SERE training if you go down in Pagistan. You might survive the first few DIPAs but at some point you'll need an exit strategy.