• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SC GOP Debate

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Let's argue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the topic of the SOH incident w/ Iran, McCain made it glaringly obvious that he is the only one who really grasps the reality of it - but I'm not positive that's a requirement for Pres., and it may be more useful in the SecDef spot. Ron Paul comments made it painfully clear how little understanding of military operations he has. Everyone else seemed to bandwagon on the idea of "supporting the decision of the COs of the ships".

Ronald Reagan has now effectively been cannonized by the GOP candidates - not a bad thing - but, everyone seems to hope that a little Reagan will rub off on themselves.

This was the first time I'd really seen Huckabee in action. He definitely shows his roots in talk radio, and making a living from the pulpit. I'm not sure how genuine it really comes off - still not sure about him; maybe the Fair Tax isn't worth it.

Thompson is gaining some steam, but he tends to speak in generalities which may be betraying a less than adequate familiarity with issues.

Which brings me back to McCain, who I think I was most impressed with tonight.

Discuss..

whitman

Ron Paul is off the rocker. Watching McCain's expressions as Paul talked about military defense was priceless.

Scoob

pilot
Contributor
True. FOX didn't do Paul any favors with the split screen on that. I think McCain and I were having the exact same thoughts when Paul said something to the effect that the Navy could've easily destroyed "those little speedboats".

But Paul did have a point when he started his answer; addressing the gung-ho coming from Huckabee ("gates of hell") and Romney ("introduce them to those virgins").

Clearly McCain was the only one who fully understood both what its like to make ROE decisions and what the follow-on effects of engaging those boats would've been.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
[slight threadjack]

What's the reality of the SOH incident?
That no one knows who was in those boats?
That no one knows who transmitted the "you are going to explode" lines?
That reality?

Scoob

pilot
Contributor
The reality of it from the viewpoint of the COs and watchstanders on those ships. And the reality of the political fallout, had they engaged those boats.

Wasn't implying that he had some God's-eye-view omnipotent understanding of it.

Maybe "practical understanding" would be a better term than "reality".