• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Schnugg

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Not sure how long it's been with your signature, but I just for the first time clicked on the link in it -- can you give the story behind that Tomcat or am I just being an idiot and it's a photoshop job?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's quite real. Very good friend of mine in back seat. I was on cruise with the sister squadron to VF-213, The World Famous Aardvarks of VF-114, at the time this happened.

ACM 1v1 similar in seas south of singapore during deployment.

First turn of two a circle fight is even, second circle is also exactly even as two planes collide. Wing of plane you see slices tails and aft engine section of second tomcat off the other jet. Plane missing a wing recovers and flies off to land at Paya Lebar airport in Singapore. Rio told me they hit and he knew it was going to happen. if you've ever been boresighted, you know the feeling where you know it's gonna be close or a collision is likely. The plane immediately began to roll violently. HUD tape caught all of this on tape, too. 400 kts and accelerating downhill. Rio yells for pilot to do out of control procedures. When he unloads the stick and steps on the ball, the plane pops out it's high speed spiral and recovers wings level. Had to land at about 190 kts. Above safe tire speed, but no other options as it rolled off badly below that.

Other F-14 loses control and sort of flat spins as the crew describe it (no rudders). It catches on fire, and crew ejects. They get picked up by a local fishing boar, helo rescues them from boat and brings them ashore.

Plane that landed at Paya Lebar was cannibalized for parts until nothing remained by every CVW that went by over next couple of years.

Back seater in the jet with half a wing was CDR L. Scott Lamoreaux III. He went on to be CO of VF-2. He was killed in Feb 1996 when his F-14D detonated on a low speed fly by of a ship off SOCAL. Afterburner liner burnthrough in AB was cause of mishap. I was in the wingman's jet and was an airborne witness to the mishap as it happened. My worst day in the Navy.

True story and true pictures.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No that was "Waylon" Jennings. Different fly by. In the latter mentioned video both crew got out okay.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Schnugg said:
No that was "Waylon" Jennings. Different fly by. In the latter mentioned video both crew got out okay.

Schnugg, in that video, is that the same incident that was displayed in "Carrier: Fortress at Sea?" I can't remember if I asked you that before, and Search didn't turn up anything.

osu33

gatordev said:
Schnugg, in that video, is that the same incident that was displayed in "Carrier: Fortress at Sea?" I can't remember if I asked you that before, and Search didn't turn up anything.

i'm pretty sure the explosion in Carrier: Fortress at Sea was a F-14D from VF-11, but i could be wrong.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
osu33 said:
i'm pretty sure the explosion in Carrier: Fortress at Sea was a F-14D from VF-11, but i could be wrong.

Bah, you're right (about -11, don't think they had Ds yet, but I might be mistaken). I'm getting my squadrons confused. My 1/c cruise was with VF-11, but I ended up flying w/ VF-213 (and later had a buddy who came from there after all their mishaps).

osu33

yea, they had D's at that point, I remember because I went on tiger cruise that year (yea, i know... how cute). My dad was CO at the time. Mike Crisp ring a bell?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Schnugg said:
...... I was in the wingman's jet and was an airborne witness to the mishap as it happened. My worst day in the Navy....

AirWarriors said:
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Schnugg again."

Tough stuff. Always a bad day when you lose friends. Stay safe down in the Sand, Amigo.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
osu33 said:
yea, they had D's at that point, I remember because I went on tiger cruise that year (yea, i know... how cute). My dad was CO at the time. Mike Crisp ring a bell?

Not really, but I didn't do my summer cruise w/ them until '97 and I really only remember one JO's name. I thought I remembered -11 only having Bs (twin TCS but no avionics). But again, it was a long time ago, so I'll defer.