• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

School Selection

mike172

GO NAVY
How is the school you attend decided upon. Lets say I get the scholarship does that mean the Navy appoints me to a school on my list, or do i get to choose, or Is it whatever school I manage to get into that has NROTC. If they appoint you to a school, and you A) did not get in, or B) don't want to go there, is it possible to get the scholarship changed to a different school. Thanks!

BackOrdered

Contributor
How is the school you attend decided upon. Lets say I get the scholarship does that mean the Navy appoints me to a school on my list, or do i get to choose, or Is it whatever school I manage to get into that has NROTC. If they appoint you to a school, and you A) did not get in, or B) don't want to go there, is it possible to get the scholarship changed to a different school. Thanks!

You can go to whatever school you'd like to go to so long as they either have an NROTC unit, have a cross-town agreement with a unit, and you can afford to physically/financially/academically attend that school.

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
You can pretty much stay in state because most states have an NROTC unit or cross town agreement like he said. There may be a few states that doesn't have a NROTC unit but thats ok and you can go out of state is you can afford it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apply for your NROTC scholarship, you indicate which schools you'd like to attend.

Apply to those schools.

If you get accepted to both and they match up.... bingo.

mike172

GO NAVY
I know ive done all that, but for some reason when i go onto nrotc.navy.mil and look up my progres,s my schools listed are : carnegie mellon, penn state, maritime academy.

But im not applying to eaither maritime or carnegie mellon. I am however applying to a cross town affiliate of carnegie mellon so my question is do they just put the parent school on it, or should I email cnet and get them to change it. (i have no idea why maritime is up there my third choice was fordham.)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know ive done all that, but for some reason when i go onto nrotc.navy.mil and look up my progres,s my schools listed are : carnegie mellon, penn state, maritime academy.

But im not applying to eaither maritime or carnegie mellon. I am however applying to a cross town affiliate of carnegie mellon so my question is do they just put the parent school on it, or should I email cnet and get them to change it. (i have no idea why maritime is up there my third choice was fordham.)

Parent school

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If i remember correctly, the way it works is you apply for the scholarship and list 5 schools for it to apply to (I honestly forget if it is just the schools, or NROTC units). Then go apply to those schools. Like fly said, if they match great- if not then there is a process for you to change your scholarship to a school/unit where you got accepted. That process is a pain, but it has been done in the past (I actually had to do it twice...). It is quite possible that they just have the host units listed... you may want to contact them and make sure they have the correct info listed for you. Perhaps via phone is better.

You also may want to consider applying to the extra schools... whats the extra application fee if you get a free college education out of the deal?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You also may want to consider applying to the extra schools... whats the extra application fee if you get a free college education out of the deal?

You'll also find a lot of schools will waive or refund application fees if you get picked up for a full scholarship.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
For me, I was waitlisted and eventually given the scholarship BECAUSE my first choice was GT (then 11K/yr OOS)...and because it was cheaper, I got the scholarship.

If you get the scholarship and then choose as school NOT on your list, you may be in jeopardy of losing it (or so I was told). Either way, it was one of the 2 first choices I've gotten in the Navy but the journey has be great.

~D