• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Search Function

robav8r

None
Contributor
Can I search the forum? You can search for posts based on username, word(s) in the post or just in the subject, by date, and only in particular forums.
To access the search feature, click on the "search" link at the top of most pages.
You can search any forum that you have permission to search - you will not be allowed to search through private forums unless the administrator has given you the necessary security rights to do so.

For all you "Boot Camps" out there who refuse to use the search function: Naval Aviation is a small community, we will find out who you are and plant SOD/Pink Sheet IED's under your career.

You have been warned . . . . . .:icon_rage

I haven't found the search function to be too terribly useful for topic searches. It tends to automatically remove "common terms" like "sea" for example which destroys my ability to look specifics topics which contain those words, exempla gratia "first sea tour."

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Creativity is rewarded...It pays to be a winner. If you are interested in, say, first tour flight time....try various combinations of flight time, hours, sea, etc... You've played Xbox your whole life haven't you?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I haven't found the search function to be too terribly useful for topic searches. It tends to automatically remove "common terms" like "sea" for example which destroys my ability to look specifics topics which contain those words, exempla gratia "first sea tour."

:eek:

Oh, man...no, he didn't.

Oh yes he did.

Well, I guess I did. Technology isn't perfect, sometimes you have to outsmart it. Google search is better. If you couch your terms in "" and then just put the name of the board next to your search terms the first couple google hits are usually dead on.

Creativity is rewarded...It pays to be a winner. If you are interested in, say, first tour flight time....try various combinations of flight time, hours, sea, etc... You've played Xbox your whole life haven't you?

You just repeated the search term I told you was blocked.

"Sea" "Flight" et cetera are all "too common" or "too short" and are automatically removed based off the forum's search capabilities. Unless you want to get really esoteric with your search descriptions (in which case you won't find anything since nobody used those words) you're just not going to get the results your looking for in that method.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dude, seriously. There's a pool full of sharks and you're stuffing your swim trunks with bloody meat.

Exit the fight. Buster. Scram east, scram east.

Dude, seriously. There's a pool full of sharks and you're stuffing your swim trunks with bloody meat.

Exit the fight. Buster. Scram east, scram east.

It's an internet forum, not a fight or a shark tank. If there really are people who look at this situation and decide that this is a great time to freak out then their judgment sucks.

The way I see it this thread is about getting new people with old questions (like myself) to direct ourselves toward the answers you've already given in the past. Doesn't it make more sense to use methods that work? Your search function doesn't actually work, at least not for many of the search terms people with no background in Naval aviation but a desire to know might use.

So the next time somebody new views this thread they'll read my post and use the google search function instead. They'll find some of the search topics they couldn't with your search function, and you all don't have to be bothered. Adaptation and answers for the newbies, no headaches for the oldies, site admins are aware of a glitch with their search function - the team wins.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
The way I see it this thread is about getting new people with old questions (like myself) to direct ourselves toward the answers you've already given in the past. Doesn't it make more sense to use methods that work? Your search function doesn't actually work, at least not for many of the search terms people with no background in Naval aviation but a desire to know might use.

The search function DOES blow. I don't think it can be helped when there are so many stupid thread clogging it up though. :(

And yes, many times people are more at a loss for which words to search for than any "initiative" :sleep_125. They get yelled at the first time, they either go away, or they suck it up and deal, search harder, and find their info. That inevitable process used to bother me. It doesn't anymore.

After all, my very first question was, I thought, a pretty intelligent question to be asking, even if it WAS impossible to answer. Lucky for me, I asked, "What percentage get jets?" on baseops instead of AirWarriors...

nugget81

pilot
Yes, you will have much more luck with the Google powered search function, as referenced in the thread above, than with the other one.

Agreed. I just tried searching for a specific thread using both search functions. The "normal" one basically said FU to me whereas the Google search nailed it right on the head. Happy hunting....

red_ryder

None
It might not be perfect, but I remember finding the answers to all those questions without much trouble. Maybe you should have used different phrasing, or maybe you should have started out in the Required Reading or the FAQ section!