• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As an officer, you'll need at least a Secret. You may need a Top Secret later depending on what you job is in the fleet.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
LMAO.

SNA with a TS.

That'd be great, considering how many guys can barely transfer a phone call while in Primary.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As zab so eloquently put :icon_tong , clearance is not really a requirement during training. For the Prop guys, we complete our ESPQ during Advanced training, right before winging. ESPQ is a very painful computer program that asks you a million questions, and you have to pretty much give a history of where you have been, what jobs, etc... That goes off and gets looked over. Based on that you will get an interim clearance. Depending on the paperwork, and your final clearance, you will get a follow on interview by NCIS. This is after they have looked your ESPQ paperwork over, and interviewed any previous bosses and friends/references you listed.

This is an ongoing thing, I believe your clearance is only good for 7 years, so save your ESPQ paperwork, or disk, so you don't have to start from zero all over again!

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Yeah, I have a print out copy of mine. However, the navy has it all on computer. They will submit it as part of my final documents. You mean they don't actually look at it until after comissioned? I thought it was part of the final selection process.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For me it was a little different, I already had a clearance (prior enlisted), don't know exactly how it works for others. I had my initial ENTNAC clearance, which got upgraded down the road as the need required.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
EPSQ.....Electronic Personnel Security Questionaire. You'll fill one out before you get commissioned. The paperwork will get sent off to OPM (Office of Personnel Management) who will then initiate the investigation. Once the investigation is completed, it will be adjudicated by DON CAF (Dept of the Navy Clearance Adjudication Facility) and you will receive your final clearance. To maintain a SECRET clearance. you must submit a PR (Periodic Review) every 10 years (this time is from when you submitted your paperwork, not from when your clearance became final). To maintain a TOP SECRET, you must submit the PR every 5 years.

As John said, you should save all your paperwork and even your EPSQ electronic file if you can. However, EPSQ as we know it is going away. Soon, all this information will be entered into a master database (at OPM I think) and you will be able to access this info later on to update when necessary.

Darin

The first time I had to get secret they literally lost my forms. Luckily I had made copies. That damn SF 86 can be a killer if you have to do it multiple times.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had to fill out the EPSQ three times. It SUCKED. The processor at my recruiting station kept telling me the wrong way to save to a disk, so instead of saving the file my computer erased it. I'll be glad when they change the system so that you can update your information periodically.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
zab1001 said:
LMAO.

SNA with a TS.

That'd be great, considering how many guys can barely transfer a phone call while in Primary.

Hey now, that's a very sensitive point for some of us... had to spend many an hour listening to the CDO explain that sh!t to me...

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
ben said:
I had to fill out the EPSQ three times. It SUCKED. The processor at my recruiting station kept telling me the wrong way to save to a disk, so instead of saving the file my computer erased it. I'll be glad when they change the system so that you can update your information periodically.
Some poor guy in Advanced was sitting next to me on another computer, we spent the whole day typing in our stuff, and he did the same thing you did, and *POOF*, goodbye information. Man, was he pissed, then again, you shouldn't let Marines too close to computers, it confuses them.. :icon_smil

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who? The Marine or the computer? Both? :p

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there a difference? They're both machines that only do exactly what you tell em to.

jca320

What would eliminate one from getting clearance? Other than being a member of a terrorist organization. I am asking more about stupid things done while we were younger but have learned from.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.