• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearances

shakenbake

I've searched the page and cant find anything about this so here goes:

When do we start the process for a Top Secret clearance, or do we even need one when we get to a squadron?

I am in API and am curious what process it is and when it starts. Any info would be appreciated

pat

When needed, you fill out an SF86, which will take you a good 10 or 12 hours, and if you are smart, you maintain a disk copy of that for the rest of your life. Ultimately your info will get lost, or you will need to renew it, and you will need that disk again. Once you submit the SF86 (or SSBI, whatever the hell it is) it will take 6 months or so to adjudicate, and then you are cleared. If it is operationally necessary, you will get an interim clearance to do your job (from my neck of the woods, anyway).

Try to be as accurate as possible with your information, and you shouldn't have any problems (a guy I worked with who had a DUI charge among other things had a ts/sci clearance).

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
They've been using E-QIP for a while now, but I heard that's changing again in a week or two. You should get all the security stuff when you get to your training wing.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've searched the page and cant find anything about this so here goes:

When do we start the process for a Top Secret clearance, or do we even need one when we get to a squadron?

I am in API and am curious what process it is and when it starts. Any info would be appreciated

Getting a TS is largely determined by what community you go to, we just had a discussion the other day and the helo guys here mentioned only some of the more senior guys, O-4 and above, have them. And not all VP and VS guys historically got them. All EA-6B, E-6 and EP-3 guys get them.

You would generally start the clearance process in the RAG, and it was left up to you to finish it and get it in on time. It takes a while to get one but it should not have an impact on your mission, they can get you an interim one if necessary. I only knew one guy to get delayed deploying waiting for a clearance, most of his family were French and they would not give him an interim. It was only a 2 to 3 month delay though.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Getting a TS is largely determined by what community you go to, we just had a discussion the other day and the helo guys here mentioned only some of the more senior guys, O-4 and above, have them. And not all VP and VS guys historically got them. All EA-6B, E-6 and EP-3 guys get them.

All students coming through multi-engine advanced/the P-3 RAG, not just the VQ guys, are being told to fill out a TS application. For the pain in the ass that it is I hope we actually need to have it.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Help yourself out and make sure you have all the addresses of all the places you have lived in the past 10 or 15 years. Also, you need to have references for each of those places and the address & phone numbers of those folks as well.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None

You would generally start the clearance process in the RAG, and it was left up to you to finish it and get it in on time. It takes a while to get one but it should not have an impact on your mission, they can get you an interim one if necessary. I only knew one guy to get delayed deploying waiting for a clearance, most of his family were French and they would not give him an interim. It was only a 2 to 3 month delay though.

They are having all students checking into TW-6 fill them out on check in.

pat

Help yourself out and make sure you have all the addresses of all the places you have lived in the past 10 or 15 years. Also, you need to have references for each of those places and the address & phone numbers of those folks as well.

When I filled mine out, it only went back 7 years, but I filled mine out over 4 years ago.

What robav8r said is dead on, know two contacts at any place you worked and lived, and have addresses for everyone. GL!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I filled mine out, it only went back 7 years, but I filled mine out over 4 years ago.
That was for a SECRET clearance. For TOP SECRET/SCI, they do go back 10 years.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They only went back 7 with my TS/SCI; just had it completed. And that was just 7 w/ personal references. They only went back 3 in places I've lived.
Interesting. I just did this not two years ago and it was 10 years. And I lived in a lot of friggin places in the last 10 years.

cisforsmasher

pilot
Part of the check in process here in kingsville is filling out your TS paperwork. In order to become an officer you just need secret but apparently everyone in the jet community needs TS. So i hope you kept your paperwork because its a real pain trying to remember when you worked where. I now have a special file for my paperwork. Dont go too nuts trying to track down old bosses. If you can contact them and they remember you, cool. The warrant officer in charge of monitoring our packets didnt mind if most of my high school jobs had no reference. Be prepared though to put in a reference for each address going back 10 amount of years. Apparently thats pretty important.

boobcheese

I just finished filling mine out (submitted 2 days ago) using E-qip. It had you go back ten years on certain portions including places of residence but it only requires references for those places you have lived in the past five years. Either way if you've moved around a lot that can potentially be a serious pain in the ass. To make your life a little easier I suggest taking a look at your credit report. It has a section which lists every address you've lived at since establishing some sort of credit history. Unless you had the foresight to write this crap down this will save you hours when filling out your paperwork.

*I used Experian, not sure if the others list this info