• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking input on how best to proceed

AirDrop

Hello AW,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post. I am 26 1/2 years old and highly interested in applying to become a Naval Aviator. I would like to give you all some background to give context for my situation.

You may ask why I am waiting so late to apply if I claim to be so interested. The answer is because I did not realize the Navy cutoff age was 27 for commission. Also, while I always knew that the Navy had an aviation component, I did not realize just how amazing and fulfilling it was until I watched the "Carriers" PBS documentary last week and also after coming upon this forum and reading my ass off on the lifestyle. Although I have wanted to be a military pilot for literally my whole life, I will be honest that I did not give serious consideration to the Navy until recently. I do not want to pass up the opportunity to become a Naval Aviator!

For about a year now I have been putting together an application package for Air Force UPT and fortunately it looks like most of it can be used towards a Naval Aviator application, which is great. I studied very hard for the Air Force AFOQT exam and scored very good so I am confident I will score well on the ASTB since they are similar. I already have 2 LOR's from prior military pilots, a 4 year degree in a tough major with a 3.26 GPA, some civilian flight training, I am a working professional for 1.5 years and in good standing at my work, and I have also been a volunteer in the Civil Air Patrol for a few months. I do have some screwups in my past though, I have been arrested 3 times for minor offenses during my teens and early 20's, but according to the matrix on this website: https://www.navycs.com/blogs/2010/05/23/moral-waivers-for-enlistment
I will not need any waivers.

So far I have submitted a request to be contacted by a recruiter through the NAVY website and I remarked that I am interested in the Aviator program. Hopefully an officer recruiter contacts me. If so, I will push the recruiter to help me in the most professional and courteous way I could since I know the clock is seriously ticking for me. I am prepared to be told "no" due to my age. If an officer recruiter doesn't contact me, how can I find one near me? There is a NROTC program by me so perhaps I can find one there?

What I am asking is what I can do to jump start the application and if there is anything I could do to persuade the recruiter to help me out if I am initially told no? Also, since the cutoff gets pushed back to 29 for prior service, would you guys recommend I consider applying for another commission program that is easier to get into and then apply from flight school afterwards? Would enlisting in the national guard part time count towards pushing back the age limit?

Apologies in advance if I am breaking some rules by making this thread. I would not do so if I was just 1 year younger!

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

There is no way for you to be commissioned by the age limit, the waivers for prior service are month for month, you do not "gain time" if you are over the limit when you join enlisted you will still be over with the month for month waiver.

NROTC has nothing to do with OCS so they cannot help you, if an OR contacts you then your best bet is to try for SWO, but aviation is out of the picture for the USN.