• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Senator Webb: Make dwell time equal to deployment

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Sounds good... but how would he ensure the proper force levels for our LD/HD forces such as those in the SpecWar community?

hscs

pilot
Problem with that is that you may be "home" for a year, but you are going to spend a good deal of that working up for your next deployment. Other problem -- how are you going to fill the gaps created by longer dwell time?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
There was an article regarding this in an issue of Navy Times not too long ago... can't remember the details.

From what I read, it seems like a good idea in theory, and if it were feasible, could be a huge morale booster. However, while novel, I don't think its the best idea.

skidz

adrenaline junky
Isn't the dwell to deployment ration supposed to be 2:1 right now? I know it isn't, not even close, but what exactly will another piece of paper do for us?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://ebird.afis.mil/ebfiles/e20070702526429.html

For those of you that aren't in the military, the only other place you can find this article is on page 10 of this week's Army Times.

Summary: Sen Webb is pushing legislation to guarantee at least as much time at home as deployed.

Good idea, bad idea. I am all for giving guys a break, and a lot of Army guys definitely need one really bad (I work with a few, Capt's and Maj's are leaving in droves) but the military needs the flexibility to deploy people without being constrained by unecessary laws.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Obviously Webb is making a political move here, and it seems to me that his political move could restrain our ability to provide an effective fighting force when and where its needed.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I think the idea is a good one, as long as the bill doesn't get passed. It sheds some light on the situation and puts pressure on military leaders to make these sort of decisions.

I think the idea is terrible, if it is actually passed.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
With the exception of some Army units if this were implemented it would not add to most Servicemembers time home. AF is doing around 3 month deployments, Navy and Marines around 6months. I dont know about the AF and Navy but most Marine units have a year home before the next 6-7 month deployment.
If he really wants to help how about cutting down on the superfluous paperwork that keeps us at work until 1900 when we are home, that would actually help, maybe ensure ranges arent shutdown so we can train closer to home and have less time away when in CONUS.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
This is just political pandering. It has no chance of changing anything, but it makes him look good to people who have their heads in their asses.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
This is just political pandering. It has no chance of changing anything, but it makes him look good to people who have their heads in their asses.
If you think he is just doing this to look good, you obviously don't know this guy.

I believe it is a chance to spotlight the issue of how much our current strategy "fits the troops (we) have" as stated in the article. But I would have to see the personnel breakdown on it to see if it would be realistic and feasible, otherwise I couldn't say if it would work.