• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sent it out!

mike172

GO NAVY
Finally last week I had my completed app sent out!! YAY :) I have a quick question when roughly did you guys get notified of acceptance or not. My recruiter said it could be anywhere from 2 weeks to 5 months!! He also said that last year they did not send out notification until June! I was wondering because this effects greatly which college I would choose to go to, and what not. So when did you guys get notified in terms of how long after you sent your app out. Thanks!

sbpilot

I dont know, I'm waiting until my 17th bday and then my package is going to be sent out, so I am also curious about this timeframe. What college do you want to go to?

mike172

GO NAVY
No. 1 choice is Duquesne in Pittsburg has cross town agreement with Carnegie Mellon for NROTC. I started my app summer before senior year, sent the completed app out last week, Took a long time getting teacher recommendations, get on that.

GT Propjock

I sent mine out within a month of school starting and had an answer by the end of Oct., that year. So, a couple of months for mine, but this has been ~8 years ago.

h2o polo

Mike172,
I received notification within two weeks of my application. But i received the "instant selection" NROTC scholarship. I'm not sure if they still do that. Times for notification will vary depend on how many apps. they get and how competitive yours is. I knew before my senior year of high school started but had friends not find out until they were graduating from high school.
I also noticed you want to go to Duquesne. I am currently a senior at Duquesne and am graduating in December. If you have any questions about the program here feel free to ask.

mike172

GO NAVY
Wooo H2o Thats awsome, im sorry about what happened on sunday its sad. I am thinking of applying early decision to Duquesne, I have a few questions for you, What is your major? What is the NROTC program like? How do you personally like the campus/ general school feel? I know the last question is vague but im just interested in your opinion in general about the school the people in general ect. I have been to the Campus twice I think its great thanks for all responces! Keep it comming with notification times, I already can't wait to know! :eek:

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I also noticed you want to go to Duquesne. I am currently a senior at Duquesne and am graduating in December. If you have any questions about the program here feel free to ask.

Fly The Ball also went there if i remember correctly.

h2o polo

Yes. Fly The Ball also went to Duquesne. I actually had the pleasure/displeasure of him as a roommate. haha.

As for your questions:

1. I am an International Relations major with a minor in History (Duquesne makes you graduate with a minor if you are Liberal Arts) Its a great major esp. if your goal is a commission....

2. The NROTC program really depends on how involved you get yourself. We have mandatory PT Monday and Wednesday morning and Naval Lab on Thursday morning. Marines hold a PT on Tuesday mornings and Remedial PT is on Friday. Do the math, if you are a Marine Option and on remedial that is every day. After all of that stuff a lot is on a volunteer basis, such as drill/colorguard, Intramurals etc... There is plenty to volunteer for .... that is if you want your entire life to be ROTC. On that note being a cross town school can be difficult at times. Especially your freshman year at Duquesne because you can't have a car. The upperclassmen do our best to give the underclassmen rides but you'll have to get used to the bus sometimes. That changes once you get a car on campus.
As for the unit staff, I am very impressed with the quality of staff we currently have. We just got a new CO who is very active and motivating. We also currently have a good group of LTs who are willing to work for you. That being said, unit staff are constantly rotating in and out so you can't really make a decision based off of that.

3. As for Duquesne, It's what you make of it. I do have to say the fact that there are...i believe it's now up to 4 girls to every guy....is a very nice thing. One of the things that sold me on Duquesne is that as long as you maintain a 3.0 gpa, they give you a room and board scholarship. So if you have a roommate its free. I have had some brilliant professors at this school and the nice part is that classes at least in my major rarely exceed 30 people.

I hope I have been able to answer a lot of your questions. If you have more keep asking.

mike172

GO NAVY
Thats cool I am interested in International Relations as my major, basically I want to be you... Anyway sounds pretty good I here the girls over there are hot, and I did not know about that 3.0 scholarship thing. As far as socially, and on weekends and stuff how are things?

h2o polo

Yeah the girls here are pretty hot. I want to say we ranked on Playboy's hottest coeds list at one point but I don't know if we are still on it. As far as socially things are good. I am in no way the frat type so I stay away from all of that stuff. But if that's what you are into they always have social stuff going on. You will notice a lot of people go home on the weekends but its also Pittsburgh so all you have to do is go out and you'll find people. Its actually kind of nice to go party at Pitt or somewhere else and return to a relatively quiet campus. Duquesne is also very close to the Strip, the South Side and Station Square, which are all grate places to go.

I do highly recommend IR as a major. If you do end up coming here some good professors to remember are Dr. Weiss for History, Fr. Sawicki for international politics courses and if you take German Herr Wehs is awesome.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thats cool I am interested in International Relations as my major, basically I want to be you... Anyway sounds pretty good I here the girls over there are hot, and I did not know about that 3.0 scholarship thing. As far as socially, and on weekends and stuff how are things?

I'm an IR guy as well and it's a great dovetail into both JPME courseware (which you'll learn about later) as well as war college curricula.

Brett

mike172

GO NAVY
Thats sweet I'm pretty sure I'm gonna apply early decision. Thanks for all your replies! If anyone has any answers for the origional question "how long did it take you to get notified" please feel free to unthreadjack this extremly helpful post.:icon_tong

EDIT: awwww you I forgot you got rid of rep power giving

Oakley568

DI$BO
I just graduated from Pitt and went through the CMUNROTC unit, I found out early spring of my senior year of high school about my scholarship. It's a great unit, our Aviation LT is an F-18 pilot, great source of info if you want to go that career path...kind of went away from the subject and all, but your recruiter is right, it takes a while for you to find out.

Say goodbye to the Duquesne girls on the weekends though, they tend to migrate over to Pitt as soon as Thursday nights roll around...

Hahaha i just realized who H20 polo is...one of my good buddies! def. listen to what he has to say...he knows what he's talking about.

FlytheBall

Maybe, maybe not, maybe go fvck yourself.
pilot
Thats sweet I'm pretty sure I'm gonna apply early decision. Thanks for all your replies! If anyone has any answers for the origional question "how long did it take you to get notified" please feel free to unthreadjack this extremly helpful post.:icon_tong

EDIT: awwww you I forgot you got rid of rep power giving

I didnt get a 4 year scholarship......so I never got notified :(