• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Separation from Air Force Issues

gradygibson

First post here, please don't rake me over the coals if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything.

I was accepted for SNA earlier this August, and my original OCS date was August 25th. I asked them to push it back because I'm stationed in Japan (Air Force enlisted) and will need extra time to out-process, and they gave me the new date of October 6th. I assumed this would be enough time (and hopefully still is).

The problem I'm running into now is that the personnel people on the Air Force side of things have no idea what to do with me, despite me doing my absolute best to stay on top of everything. Whenever I go into my MPF, I'm usually greeted by an NCO who gives me a smart-assed comment about me wanting to commission in the Navy and then tells me to come back later, when someone more knowledgeable who isn't them will be around. I've been trying to push forward with the separation process regardless, pretty much exclusively on the guidance given to me by my recruiter. There's no active duty Navy recruiter in Japan, so mine is in Hawaii, and I can generally only catch him once a day due to the different time zones.

We went ahead and filled out the rest of my separation paperwork from the Navy side so I can route the documents, which included the DD 368 (completed conditional release), my final select letter, my Aviation Officer Service Agreement, and my DD Form 4 (enlistment document). Last Friday, I submitted an application in the vMPF for separation, but I still need to have them change the separation date to August 27th, the day before we did my enlistment paperwork, because it wasn't an option to use a date earlier than the present day in the application system.

When I tried contacting AFPC on the phone to help me with this, I just got talked down to by the guy, and he seemed astounded that I even took the oath without already having been separated. I tried to explain that my knowledge is based off of my recruiter's advice, and he said I would need the enlistment documentation to route the separation application in the first place. This is to prevent a break in service, as I'm still active duty. The guy at AFPC told me I'd have to call back on Tuesday after 0800, which will be my Tuesday night. I'm not confident they'll help me.

So here's my situation: I've only got about a month to handle separating from the Air Force before my OCS class starts, and everyone so far has essentially just sneered at me when I tried to go through the proper channels to handle it with the information I have. Can anyone who's gone to Navy OCS from the active duty Air Force give me some guidance here? What can I do to make sure goofy bureaucratic bullshit doesn't prevent me from attending OCS this fall? I'm doing my best not to get freaked out over this, but from my point of view, it looks like my dream is falling through because of incompetence from people that are supposed to know what to do with me.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

The TLDR, where is your chain of command in all of this? Yes, you are leaving the Air Force but being that they endorsed your conditional release and commissioning into the Navy… I’m sure they would be supportive for the remaining parts of the process.

If you’re trying to do this alone (which it sounds like), you need to get their help as well as recruiter’s help if possible.

gradygibson

The TLDR, where is your chain of command in all of this? Yes, you are leaving the Air Force but being that they endorsed your conditional release and commissioning into the Navy… I’m sure they would be supportive for the remaining parts of the process.

If you’re trying to do this alone (which it sounds like), you need to get their help as well as recruiter’s help if possible.
My immediate supervisors haven't been helpful in the past, and after I got accepted they told me they don't know how this process works, so I think I just had it in the back of my mind that I can't rely on them. We're also discouraged from going directly to the commander for things. I'm definitely going to talk to my first sergeant at the first opportunity though. I doubt she'll know what to do immediately, but you're right, my command needs to be tracking everything instead of me just trying to fit the puzzle pieces together on my own.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
My immediate supervisors haven't been helpful in the past, and after I got accepted they told me they don't know how this process works, so I think I just had it in the back of my mind that I can't rely on them. We're also discouraged from going directly to the commander for things. I'm definitely going to talk to my first sergeant at the first opportunity though. I doubt she'll know what to do immediately, but you're right, my command needs to be tracking everything instead of me just trying to fit the puzzle pieces together on my own.

You're right, you might be the first person around to go Air Force to Navy, but you are not the first person to go through the loss/separation process which is what every service member does. I would definitely escalate, I doubt your entire chain of command is going to tell you to pack sand as you try to get to OCS.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're right, you might be the first person around to go Air Force to Navy, but you are not the first person to go through the loss/separation process which is what every service member does. I would definitely escalate, I doubt your entire chain of command is going to tell you to pack sand as you try to get to OCS.
Agree, and in this case I think you have very little to lose by involving your commander. I’d be surprised if he/she wasn’t willing to help.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Go to the first officer in your chain of command and tell them you need the CC's help with this. Get this elevated to your commander's level. They likely don't know you're having a problem.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Agree, and in this case I think you have very little to lose by involving your commander. I’d be surprised if he/she wasn’t willing to help.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't trust this one to the 1st Sgt, if they aren't making movement happen already. No disrespect to them, but they have no clue what your deal is, and they probably are too busy with other things to figure it out for you. My .02. If I were your commander, I'd appreciate knowing that you needed help. Like others have said, odds are very high that they have no clue about your situation currently.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Go to the first officer in your chain of command and tell them you need the CC's help with this. Get this elevated to your commander's level. They likely don't know you're having a problem.
^^^^ THIS!

gradygibson

All great advice, thanks everyone. I'll be getting in touch with my commander first thing on Wednesday, as that's the first day we'll be back to normal after Labor Day weekend.