• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Serious Question concerning Questionaire for National Security Postions

SemperFidelis

I don't know if this is the right forum or not, but i'm involved in NROTC and have filled out this questionaire for National Security Positions. Now here is my problem, i'm a good kid and all that, with rock solid references. There is one thing that i am concerned about, and was wondering if any of the more experienced people on the board could help me with. A few months back at one of my jobs the manager/owner accused me a stealing money in rebuying dvds from customers. They had a private investigator come in and show me that i had changed amounts on these buy in sheets and i tried to explain that, they were changed because the customers had taken back a dvd after they wrote the price or they decided they didn't want it, however to make a long story short, they said i could just admit being guilty pay back the money and we'd go are seperate ways, or we could have a full investigation with the cops and i would have not gotten into college and probably lost my scholarship etc... it was too big a risk. I've talked with my manager, and he told me he'd tell them that i was a good employee and all but that this is over my head.
I did write an explanation in my Questionaire and admitted fully what had happened. The only other thing that I ever had happen was a speeding ticket for $180. Are these two things going to ruin me, I don't want something I had done as a dumb 18 year old ruin my chances with this. How does this stuff work, these are just two things do they take into account the whole person and such. Any info as to what happens with this or what it takes to get booted i guess would be appreciated. I have no criminal record, no felonies, no dui's, no anything just this speeding ticket and a bad ending at one job. My other job i have had for longer is better. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

beau

i dont think you are sunk just yet........it sounds like you are making a big deal out of this. My personal thought is that you worked it out without having it put in your record...and your former boss seems to back you up with the "good employee" remark. From my stand point it seems squeeky clean as long as you dont something stupid for someone to dig that up and say...yeah this guy is no good...his past says it all....but again...nothing is set in stone seemingly.

Just dont **** up again.

dont worry too much about the speeding ticket...unless, of course, you keep getting them...

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
SemperFidelis said:
I did write an explanation in my Questionaire and admitted fully what had happened.

Since you admitted it, its probably not that big of a concern. The whole thing sounds like BS anyway... you said yourself there's no arrest record or anything like that.

If you hadn't admitted it and they found out later (not sure how that would happen since there's no court record), then they might be concerned that you covered it up, but that isn't the case.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I agree. No record, no proof, and lesson learned. So why worry? Sucks that your boss was blaming you for it since u said u didnt do anything. I would have argued my butt off and even threaten getting my lawyer involved. But hey, theyre just dvds.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
pennst8 said:
... and they found out later (not sure how that would happen since there's no court record) ...

I know how: Lets do some role playing:

NIS Investigator: Hello, I am here to ask you some questions about Mr. ** who had applied for a position of great importance. This position directly affects our National Security. (Shows impressive ID card and badge).

Mr. Snodly: Fine. How can I help?

NIS: Do you know Mr. **? One of the references he listed on his application said that you knew him. We always check out references given, but know the applicant may be selective in references provided, therefore we like to check a minimum of 5 sources obtained from the original list provided by the applicant.

Mr. Snodly: Well do not know him that well. Know he worked at Serdly's for about 9 months. Rumor has it that he dipped into the till at Snerdly's and was fired. Snerdly went out of business, do not know where you can find him. Sam told me ...., Jane said ..... Tom indicated .... and (you get the picture).

NIS looks at your application, sees that you documented the incident and is satisifed. He will have a greater inclination to believe you than the hearsay. Not to document leaves you behind the 8 ball, so to speak.

Always, always assume they will "find out". They are darn good, I know.

Always deal honestly and without reservation.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
There wasn't any police involvement (except the $180 traffic ticket, which you need to report, but they'll pay less attention to that than I do to Greenpeace) so they won't hear about it from there (good thing). However, from what you wrote it looks like you left the employer under less than favorable terms, which you do have to disclose and explain. Now, they'd call and talk to your supervisor regardless of what happened/what you wrote, so it's good that you decided to disclose it.

What it'll come down to is what your employer says. If he gives you a good recomendation, as you said, it'll sound alot better than if he says "dirty kid, never did his work and stole all my money".

Also note, that the guidelines for recomending clearance state that for all past indiscretions, among the factors to weigh in are "age and maturity". Since they say not to disclose anything before age 16, and you were 18 when this happened, and a decent amount of time has passed, they'll probably give you a bit more benefit than to a 26 yr old guy who had this happen last week.

saltpeter

You paid that SOB!!!! I'd get my money back. I would have had a court appointed, pro bono, lawyer represent me. It sounds like your employer smoke screened you into paying for nothing. Oh, don't be sorry, I'd be pissed.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
saltpeter said:
You paid that SOB!!!! I'd get my money back. I would have had a court appointed, pro bono, lawyer represent me. It sounds like your employer smoke screened you into paying for nothing. Oh, don't be sorry, I'd be pissed.

Yeah I'd be pissed too.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was listed as a reference for someone going into NROTC this fall, does anyone know when can I expect to hear from NIS or get a form letter to fill out? And can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I'm supposed to write? I mean, the person I'm writing about is in my opinion totally qualified to become a midshipman and is trustworthy, loyal, and honest so I'd have nothing but good things to say about her, but I was just wondering since I've never been involved with NIS before...

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
I don't have an inside experience with this, but for comparison, my recruiter told me he put in the official paperwork to request that my recommendations be contacted on monday 7/18. As of today (7/27) none of them have been contacted.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
DanMav1156 said:
Yeah I'd be pissed too.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was listed as a reference for someone going into NROTC this fall, does anyone know when can I expect to hear from NIS or get a form letter to fill out? And can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I'm supposed to write? I mean, the person I'm writing about is in my opinion totally qualified to become a midshipman and is trustworthy, loyal, and honest so I'd have nothing but good things to say about her, but I was just wondering since I've never been involved with NIS before...

You might never get the call. They pick and choose. They may ask one person on the list to give the names of 3 others who know the individual, then interview them and ask the same question. After 2 or three degrees of separation, they just may find the person who thinks he's an a-hole. After all, the people who the individual put on the form are all going to say he's a good guy, since he'd have to be an idiot to put the names of people he's tangle with.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
You might never get the call. They pick and choose. They may ask one person on the list to give the names of 3 others who know the individual, then interview them and ask the same question. After 2 or three degrees of separation, they just may find the person who thinks he's an a-hole. After all, the people who the individual put on the form are all going to say he's a good guy, since he'd have to be an idiot to put the names of people he's tangle with.

Well thanks for the help. It's funny you should say that though because my girlfriend's dad worked with a (former) SWO who never got his OOD(?) or maybe other quals or something, so he never got his warfare pin early on in his career, and then he tried to lat transfer to SEALS. Plus he was a notorious liar and a-hole who d1cked everyone over at every chance and when NIS asked my girlfriend's dad he had nothing good to say about the guy. Needless to say, NIS did not grant him the clearance to become a SEAL.

Plus, he wore silk pajamas on cruise. :rolleyes: :icon_mi_1 :icon_mi_1

Yanni

Midshipman
My NROTC advisor said I should not worry about it, 1) I was releativley young when it happened. 2) There is no record. 3) I think or know that most people generally like me so i dunno.

Ex Rigger

pilot
As far as the question of when can you expect to be contacted goes... I had two OC's from the Unit here get commissioned in Dec. One intel and the other SWO. I was a contact for both I guess and was contacted in early June about both of them. However, it was not NIS interviewing me, it was FBI.