• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seriously Considering the Navy. Unanswered questions.

miglaz89

Hey Everyone,

I have been researching about the Navy for a few weeks now. I have read as much as a could on these forums. I am very interested in the BDCP. I'm 20 years old, working on a double major of Aeronautical Science and Aerospace Engineering with approximately a 3.5 GPA at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach. By the time I graduate, I will have my CFI and multi-engine ratings. I am also very fit and take on a proactive effort with my health involving proper diet as well as Mixed Martial Arts training. The Navy has been in my mind for a while now and I need some closure. What attracts me to the Navy is the chance to fly incredible aircraft, traveling all over the world, being at sea as I have always had a profound love for the ocean, the physical training aspect, as well as the financial and educational benefits. With this basic background I have the following questions:

1) I understand that there is no guaranteed flight slot, but with my aviation degree, flight training and instruction (eventually), physical fitness and most likely high scores on the ASTB, is there still a chance that I will not get a flight slot? Will I found out if I get accepted into flight training in my application for BDCP? If not, when do I found out?

2) Has anyone had any issues with regards to killing people(assuming fighter pilot)? Obviously your targets will be classified as "enemies," but has anyone had any second thoughts (ie. are they really my enemy?)? How often is the decision of whether or not you end someone's (or multiple people's) life/lives? Is this a regular part of a Navy Pilot's life?

3) Are missions more likely going to be intelligence gathering, intercepting, or search and rescue rather than ending lives?

4) I understand that I can pursue an advanced degree after my first flying tour. Will I loose my flight slot if I chose this path? Would I have to serve longer if I get an advanced degree (in aerospace engineering most likely) if the Navy pays for it (GI Bill, NPS)?

5) Is it possible to become a flight instructor rather than getting deployed? If not, how many flying tours would I have to do in order to become a flight instructor?

6) I am extremely interested in the physical aspect of the Navy. Is it possible to pursue Navy training in my free time? (ie. SEALs training, survival training, skydiving, scuba diving, free diving, hand to hand combat, etc.) I have no interest in becoming a Navy seal or a Surface Warfare Officer or anything like that but I would love to do all the training. BUD/S training seems appealing to me. My 20s will be the prime of my athletic life, and I do not want it to go to waste. I would like to go way beyond simply exercising at a gym. I want to be as complete a human as I can be. Both physical and mental.

7) If I want to learn a new language can the Navy help me or I do it in my free time? (again, assuming I am a pilot here)

8) Does the BDCP pay for rent, food, and on top of that a E-3 Salary?

9) When I get commissioned as an officer, do I start as an O-1 or an O-3 because my time in BDCP counts as active duty?

10) Feel free to add any insight or information you feel would be appropriate to me. I thank you in advance for any potential help. Sorry for the excess of questions as well as weird ones.

phrogpilot73

2) Has anyone had any issues with regards to killing people(assuming fighter pilot)? Obviously your targets will be classified as "enemies," but has anyone had any second thoughts (ie. are they really my enemy?)? How often is the decision of whether or not you end someone's (or multiple people's) life/lives? Is this a regular part of a Navy Pilot's life?
Those people are conscientious objectors, and generally leave the military.

3) Are missions more likely going to be intelligence gathering, intercepting, or search and rescue rather than ending lives?
It all depends on what your platform turns out to be, way too many variables.

4) I understand that I can pursue an advanced degree after my first flying tour. Will I loose my flight slot if I chose this path? Would I have to serve longer if I get an advanced degree (in aerospace engineering most likely) if the Navy pays for it (GI Bill, NPS)?
You won't lose your flight slot. That is your designator - it is your job in the Navy.

5) Is it possible to become a flight instructor rather than getting deployed? If not, how many flying tours would I have to do in order to become a flight instructor?
No.

6) I am extremely interested in the physical aspect of the Navy. Is it possible to pursue Navy training in my free time? (ie. SEALs training, survival training, skydiving, scuba diving, free diving, hand to hand combat, etc.) I have no interest in becoming a Navy seal or a Surface Warfare Officer or anything like that but I would love to do all the training. BUD/S training seems appealing to me. My 20s will be the prime of my athletic life, and I do not want it to go to waste. I would like to go way beyond simply exercising at a gym. I want to be as complete a human as I can be. Both physical and mental.
No.

9) When I get commissioned as an officer, do I start as an O-1 or an O-3 because my time in BDCP counts as active duty?
You will be an O-1.

10) Feel free to add any insight or information you feel would be appropriate to me. I thank you in advance for any potential help. Sorry for the excess of questions as well as weird ones.
Sure, I don't think you should join the Navy. From what you were asking, you're a borderline conscientious objector who doesn't want to deploy. All while working on your killer physique, and learning multiple languages and working on 12 masters degrees.

I was talking to a regional airline pilot today at lunch, he gets about 20 days off a month, which will provide more than enough time to accomplish everything you want to - without having to kill anyone.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
1) There is definitely a chance you won't get a pilot slot. Slots are very competitive and while you may think you're the most qualified individual on Earth, there are many many others just like you.

2) If you have serious issues with the thought of potentially taking a life, this may not be for you.

3) See #2

4) I don't know shit about Navy edumacation.

5) Pretty much everyone becomes an instructor in one form or another. It will not take the place of deployments.

6) Naval Aviation or Specwar (SEAL). Pick one and only one. If you want to be a PT stud, you'll do it on your own time.

7) See #4

8) See #7

9) O-1

10) Good luck!