• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service Selection Calculation

RiceOwl06

This has been a mystery to me for quite some time now, but for the past couple of years, it seems as if two different sets of service selection criteria are floating around out there as gouge. There has been been heresay as to which set is used, I just wanted to know if anyone had anything official to clarify this matter. I read some of archived threads, but there still seems to be argument out there. The differences on the ASTB between the 2 probably affect numbers a great deal. This discrepency along with the PRK/Contact Lens Waiver argument has confused the heck out of me. Any insight on the selection issue would be great, since selection packages for '06 grads are starting to be put together now.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Im just going to put this out from what my XO said, hopefully it will match with someone elses.

As of last fall (for the spring graduates) they were using the old formula. The navy is in the process of switching over to the new formula but need to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed. So...as of last year, they used the old formula but had the new formula next to it to see how it compared.

My XO was saying that they would need to do this for a couple of years to make sure the new formula wouldnt change the success ratio of pilots put through the pipeline.

This is what my XO said and I trust her word.

RiceOwl06

I'm sure your XO gave you that. But the problem is, other people's XO's are giving them exact opposite info.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11083

As indicated from above link, other people's XO's and class advisors are giving them different gouge. To a lot of people, especially for those about to take it or thinking of taking it again, it probably makes a big difference. Why waste your time studying some more if just have to pass the ASTB. I have been hearing since the beginning of my junior year that it doesnt matter. And sophomore year, I was told by the same individual that it did matter. Now I'm guessing that something had to have been sent to these people, I just wish we could get our hands on it to settle the issue.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
My XO also said that there was no pt score 'box' to fill in for last years selection. This meant that pt wasnt a factor, just pass/fail. And therefore, the old formula was used.

RiceOwl06

I would just be pissed since its too late to take it again for service selection. My advisor just told me I passed, and when I asked for a score, he told me that all us Rice kids were a bunch of nerds, and then walked away. I have just always thought it didnt count, and I'm sure others did as well. This website has just got me wondering more about the competitiveness of my selection package, and I know some sort of documentation would ease my fears. I just wanna get SNA or SNFO.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I know how you feel. Your package cant be changed so sit back in relax (yeah right, right?). Everything will work out and if it doesnt, it will still work out somehow.

My two friends who just found out about their slots had 5's and 6's for there scores and their grades were in the low 3's i think.

RiceOwl06

Yeah, but hopefully it won't work as a SWO and have to go to Ingleside or Pascagoula or some assignment like that. I literally have bad dreams that everything went wrong and I'm stuck on some minesweeper out in the Middle East, for days on end, bitter at the entire world. But I guess things could be worse...

nrotcbruin

I haven't heard anything from my unit about changes. The whole service selection process has always been sort of a mystery at my unit. Like rice, I don't care what they do as long as I get EOD.