• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sestak as SecNav???

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With the guy who fired him on his first day as CNO serving as CJCS? Seriously doubt it.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, let's face it - there aren't that many Democratic lawmakers who are also retired flag officers, so he'd have to be on the list. This is the "trial balloon" stage of things. People in the administration slip stories like this to the media to see what kind of response they get.

I agree w/ Flash. The fact that he was fired by the current Chairman doesn't bode well for Rep Sestak's chances, given that the President-Elect is making a big show of listening to his uniformed advisors.

I know some friends of the family who worked for him...suffice to say, he's not anyone's dream boss.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, let's face it - there aren't that many Democratic lawmakers who are also retired flag officers, so he'd have to be on the list. This is the "trial balloon" stage of things. People in the administration slip stories like this to the media to see what kind of response they get.

Service Secretaries are not often retired flag officers, though it has happened. Recent history shows they come from a mix of industry and government service, often with some of both.

Trial balloon stage, definitely. Just who released the balloon though? The article notes that.

navy09

None
I've seen some threads that mention him on SailorBob (nothing positive). What's the Reader's Digest version of why he was fired by ADM Mullen?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've seen some threads that mention him on SailorBob (nothing positive). What's the Reader's Digest version of why he was fired by ADM Mullen?

'Poor command climate', and it should probably be left at that. There is at least one link on the Wikipedia page that touches a little bit more on why.

navy09

None
Sestak has also "developed a reputation for being a temperamental and demanding boss" due to reports that thirteen staffers have quit his employment in 2007. Aides are purportedly expected to work seven days a week, including holidays, for 14 hours a day.

What do they expect from a retired SWO? :D

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Isn't this the same individual that walked around with a rubber ducky as an Admiral??
Sorry for not bothering to check wiki tonight.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
He spoke to our ROTC unit a few years back. I was not impressed. It was like one huge campaign speech.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I don't even know where to begin. I guess it would get as much popularity as putting Ken Lay (if he were still alive) in as the CEO of GM.
Found the picture. Note rubber duckie in pic.
01-sestak_admiral_001.jpg

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Service Secretaries are not often retired flag officers, though it has happened. Recent history shows they come from a mix of industry and government service, often with some of both.

Oh, I know. I just meant, when you're a Democratic administration, street cred with the uniformed side of the house is a little hard to come by. Obama's clearly trying to pull in as many Republicans and former Flags as he can for his security-defense jobs (Gates, Jones, et al), so here's a guy who's both a Democrat and an Admiral! Score!

Then all the words like "poor" "command" "climate" and "fired" start popping up. Oops.