• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Severe milk allergy

corrie

SNA MOM2
Does anyone by chance know if a life threatning allergy to any and all milk/milk byproducts would prevent one from becoming a Naval Aviator? The Officer Recruiter spoken to said probably but wasn't hellpful/willing to do any checking.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would imagine it is a bad thing. I know an NFO with a gluten allergy that is being separated.

corrie

SNA MOM2
Tlhanks Schnugg. I'm sure it is a bad thing. This young man can't eat a thing without first knowing exactly what the ingredients are. He's been to the hospital multiple times due to accidents. He's just always wanted to be a Navy pilot. Have any ideas on who to check with to find out for sure? A different recruiter perhaps or someone else?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
This young man can't eat a thing without first knowing exactly what the ingredients are. He's been to the hospital multiple times due to accidents.
Which means his health issues are incompatible with military service.

He is not going to be able to know the exact ingredients to the food served on ships, chow halls or in MREs. This is especially true in a deployed, field or combat situation. The Navy is not going to accept someone that has this type of problem. It's an impossible situation. He'd couldn't be deployed or sent to sea.

Even if by some chance the Navy would accept him, is it really fair to those he's serving with? I'd hate to be flying with him knowing a crew meal could kill him or incapacitate him. What about the Sailors depending on his leadership during a crisis but an allergic reaction is crippling him?

It might be his desire, but it's not a practical desire. It's not safe for him or those around him.

This is probably why the officer recruiter is not investing his time on him. Part of his job is determining the suitability of any candidate. I would not recommend someone like this for any military job even if he could get a waiver for the medical condition. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I did. It's not fair or safe to the applicant, those who serve with him or to the Navy in general.

Not what you want to read, but someone needs to put out the cold, hard facts. A life threatening food allergy is not compatible with military service. Especially with an allergy to a common product used in so many foods.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Does anyone by chance know if a life threatning allergy to any and all milk/milk byproducts would prevent one from becoming a Naval Aviator? The Officer Recruiter spoken to said probably but wasn't hellpful/willing to do any checking.

YES, any allergy such as that is a DQ, also goes in line with the peanut's ect.
The OSO I work for wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Nose

pilot
Not true. I had peanut allergy my whole time. Not NPQ (Not for that anyway).

Hey HAL - WTF is a crew meal? Are you an Airline pilot?

Nose

phrogpilot73

I would not recommend someone like this for any military job even if he could get a waiver for the medical condition. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I did. It's not fair or safe to the applicant, those who serve with him or to the Navy in general.
I agree. While he MIGHT be able to be in a non-deployable billet, he'd be off the table for an IA, which isn't fair to his peers.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... WTF is a crew meal? Are you an Airline pilot?...
I know YOU "nose" this :D.... but for the unwashed --- the crew meal referenced is beef or chicken.

If you are not the Captain, the correct checklist response when asked your preference is: "I'll take chicken" ... :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Hey HAL - WTF is a crew meal? Are you an Airline pilot?
Hopefully I will be again in December....anxiously awaiting the bid that is due any day and hoping for enough to bypass on recall so it gets to down to me.....

39 on furlough with 22 recalls expected. I need 14 to bypass. Last recall was in September for 7 and they had 17 bypasses then so I am optimistic.

HAL = Hawaiian Airlines

So I should have said box lunch. I've been retired for 9 years and some things slip by me. Besides, I was a NFO. It was the friggin 3Ps job to get the friggin food. :D