• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shortney's Farewell

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
To be published in the Summer '08 issue of The Hook magazine (on the street in late July), it also made the "e-mail" circuit... good stuff.

Just before turning over command of the Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group, RADM William E. "Shortney" Gortney wrote the following to his commands, especially to the junior officers in the squadrons of Carrier Air Wing Three -- The Junior Officer's Protective Association (JOPA) he refers to in the first line. These are the words of a warrior who leads from the front. VADM(sel) Gortney is headed to command U.S. 5thFleet in the Persian Gulf.

Battle Axe
JOPA, both current and past -- today in a VFA-105 F/A-18E, Canyon 400, I closed my logbook for the last time after 31 years of working in my designator as a Naval Aviator totaling 5,364 mishap-free flight hours and 1,265 carrier arrested landings. For the future nucs in the group, that averages out to 173 flight hours and 41 traps per year. On my wing were LTJG Elizabeth "RC" Tremel, a nugget one month into her first deployment, and LT Matthew "Disney" Stevenson, my trusty "loop" on his third combat deployment.
Many of you are on your first deployment, others are adding bronze stars to your Sea Service Ribbons. All of you should be asking if this is what you want to do with your life. Please remember you need to make this decision with the full inclusion of your wife or husband.
I want to take this opportunity to provide some additional thoughts to help with the "stay in, get out" deliberations that many of you are considering. As I have said before, now is not the time to decide. Never, repeat never, make a career, marital or financial decision while on deployment, because you are not sane.
This is in no way an excursion in egotistical bravado, but reflections of an old Naval Aviator on both good, and not so good, memories of our chosen profession. I might pontificate occasionally, and I apologize up front, but sometimes I just can't help myself. Those of you in CATCC have experienced this pain. My ultimate and sincere desire is that my ramblings will help you make the correct decision.
There are many entries in my logbook -- memorable hops, names of wingmen, a smattering of green ink and other significant events. Included are tours in the Training Command, War College, four staff tours (two in D.C.), eight deployments, seven sets of work ups, flying the T-28, T-2C, TA-4J, TA-7C, A-7E, F-14A, F-14A+, HH-60H, SH-60F, S-3B, E-2C, EA-6B and of course, the F/A-18A, B, C, D, E and F (Lot V through Lot XXVIII). There are four command tours, two involving combat deployments, 10 PCS moves, eight with a U-Haul -- two crossed our nation and another couple to the other side of the world and back.
Between my last flight in T-2s and my first in A-7s there is an entry for my marriage to Sherry -- 28 years July 2008. Seven days before flying to USS Nimitz (CVN-68) for my second deployment, there is an entry for the birth of Billy, who married in June 2008. Midway through my first FRS instructor tour in Lemoore, there is an entry made right after a 2-v-2 in R-2508, for the birth of Stephanie, who is anxiously awaiting the return of her boyfriend, a Marine sergeant, currently on his second pump to Al Anbar Province.
There are also entries for seven wingmen who paid the ultimate sacrifice in the defense of our nation. A day does not go by that my mind does not wander to thoughts of Knuckles, my roommate on my first two sets of work ups and deployments, killed at Pax River. I hope you never have a reason to experience some of those same thoughts.
The business of Naval Aviation is difficult, meaningful, fun and challenging, and leading Sailors and Chief Petty Officers is the best part of this profession. Never forget, you are a Naval Officer first, Naval Aviator second. Embrace this fundamental fact of life.
Day traps are cool, night traps aren't. Both go in your logbook, and both are critical parts of the profession. If you want to just punch a clock for a living, then thanks for your service, go ahead and get out, we don't want to retain everyone. It's a pyramid for a reason.
There is a difference between a pilot and an aviator -- manifested in both attitude and professionalism. Over the years I have flown with Naval Aviators who are really only pilots. Which do you want to be?
Family separation is part of the job, but part of most every job.
You are far better then my generation ever was, but you don't get as much flight time. With the flight time you are getting, however, you are better equipped, trained and significantly better at execution and safety. You have much better jets and much better leadership. You aren't getting as many traps, but some of you are close. You are a group that asks "why" a lot -- much more then my generation did. I think it is because you are smarter, and yes, a different generation. Leadership must always provide you an answer, but sometimes you must be satisfied with the answer "because."
I've worked for a living, but I have never considered this profession as work. Many of you have asked which is the best job I have had over the years. I gave it some detailed thought and here you go:
Best job I ever had was my JO tour in VA-82. Best job I ever had was an IP/JO in the RAG. Best job I ever had was as MO in VFA-By God-87. Best job I ever had was as XO of -132 and -15. Best job I ever had was command of VFA-15. Best job I ever had was command of VFA-106. Best job I ever had was DCAG and command of CVW-7. Best job I ever had was Chief of Staff in Com5thFleet. Best job I ever had is command of Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group. Being the loop for OP-05 was my first exposure to the fact of life that there is more to this job then burning JP, pulling g's and igniting gun powder. The job which expanded my horizon the most was on the Joint Staff in the J33 -- hardest job I ever had, but learned the most.
Never once did I believe I would still be here today. Sherry and I just had fun in every tour and love being around our Navy Family. It may sound corny to some, but it just happens to be the truth. Case in point -- the high point of 2007 was at Hook having dinner on Thursday night with Dirt, Crotch and Brick -- no better friends, no better wingmen. One night a few years back my inertial dumped and one of 'em -- Brick -- dropped me off with a centered ball at ~150 feet (because that was where the ceiling was), handed me over to the other on the platform -- Crotch -- who talked me into the deuce (the Professionals Preference). Yes, the deck was moving, and yes, I boltered the first time, but my wingman got me to a good start on both passes, and Paddles ensured the deck and I were in sync on the second. Many of you know what I am talking about when I say the word "trust" is an understatement. You nuggets will soon find out.
Together we pulled g's, watched friends die, went through separations, divorces, good jobs, not so good jobs, cried together, laughed together, shared a drink or two and on every hop, reached out and touched the face of God. We have lived a life worth living and we did it together. Through it all, none of us got rich in the monetary sense, but the life we lived is priceless. I would not trade anything for the experiences and memories. It would make for a good country and western song.
If any of you JOs on the fence believe you will experience friendship outside the Navy -- in the airlines or elsewhere -- the likes of which I just described, then you need to rethink your career.
In a week I turn over command to RADM Mark "MRT" Fox, fellow Naval Aviator, A-7 and F/A-18 wingman, and superb Naval Officer. Trust me when I say you will be in good hands. You will fly his wing as you did mine. I will envy every minute.
Right now I am unable to tell you if the change of command will be at sea or in port. Under way, while you are flying combat missions over Iraq, would be fitting. I do not need to remind this group there is a war on and bad people need to be neutralized. You will help immeasurably in this effort flying from 4.5 acres of sovereign American territory, provided by the steel deck of Harry S. Truman (CVN-75), and the stronger backs of her Sailors, Chief Petty Officers and Officers.
Thanks for the opportunity to fly your wing these past 21 months.
See you at Hook in September, and as always, keep 'em safe.

Shortney

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Freakin' awesome! Nice to see there are still some people who still care about their subordinates in this world...you just don't find that on the civilian side. (IMOHO)

robav8r

None
Contributor
. . . . some pearls I especially liked !

Many of you are on your first deployment, others are adding bronze stars to your Sea Service Ribbons. All of you should be asking if this is what you want to do with your life. Please remember you need to make this decision with the full inclusion of your wife or husband.
I want to take this opportunity to provide some additional thoughts to help with the "stay in, get out" deliberations that many of you are considering. As I have said before, now is not the time to decide. Never, repeat never, make a career, marital or financial decision while on deployment, because you are not sane.

The business of Naval Aviation is difficult, meaningful, fun and challenging, and leading Sailors and Chief Petty Officers is the best part of this profession. Never forget, you are a Naval Officer first, Naval Aviator second. Embrace this fundamental fact of life.

Day traps are cool, night traps aren't. Both go in your logbook, and both are critical parts of the profession. If you want to just punch a clock for a living, then thanks for your service, go ahead and get out, we don-t want to retain everyone. It's a pyramid for a reason.

There is a difference between a pilot and an aviator -- manifested in both attitude and professionalism. Over the years I have flown with Naval Aviators who are really only pilots. Which do you want to be?

I've worked for a living, but I have never considered this profession as work.

Never once did I believe I would still be here today. Sherry and I just had fun in every tour and love being around our Navy Family. It may sound corny to some, but it just happens to be the truth.

We have lived a life worth living and we did it together. Through it all, none of us got rich in the monetary sense, but the life we lived is priceless. I would not trade anything for the experiences and memories. It would make for a good country and western song.

What an incredible Naval Officer and American Patriot. It's folks like these that keep me in uniform . . .

el douge

This one time at band camp...
That was a really motivating post R.O. I really enjoyed it and it makes me so proud to be chasing a Naval Career.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Great post..... I've been kind of on the fence about getting out or staying in. RADM Gortney has kind of given me a shot in the arm.

JT Eagle

Shortney

And here's a photo of the gentleman, about to fly an OIF mission as CAG-7 off JFK in April 2002.

(Picture JT Eagle)

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    404.9 KB · Views: 238

rare21

pilot
Contributor
he's right its not the same in the civilian world. i may still put my life on the line for my comrades, but it never feels the same

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone have a hard copy of this in The Hook that they can scan and send me? I'm going to use it to give my boss some (much needed) insight into how his boss thinks.

It would help a lot if I could show it to him in the legitamacy of being printed in an actual publication, vice the notoriously illegitimate context of this place.:D

Greetings from the pointy end, BTW.

-Scoob

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I have the orig email from Shortney at work. If you still need a copy when I get off leave, let me know.