• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I Be Worried? (Scholarship Acceptance)

mattbo217

Hey All,
I'm a high school senior that has applied to both AFROTC and NROTC with the goal of becoming a military pilot. I turned both apps in early enough to get in both of the earliest boards. I put engineering as the major so I would have something technical there. I received a Type 7 AFROTC scholarship on the first board, so that was really exciting. But, I really want a NROTC scholarship. Should I be worried that I haven't heard from the navy yet? All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mattbo

P.S: I have a 3.39 GPA and a 29 ACT/1210 SAT, and I have already been accepted to West Virginia, Auburn, and the Citadel with many more apps out there.

incubus852

pilot
Hey All,
I'm a high school senior that has applied to both AFROTC and NROTC with the goal of becoming a military pilot. I turned both apps in early enough to get in both of the earliest boards. I put engineering as the major so I would have something technical there. I received a Type 7 AFROTC scholarship on the first board, so that was really exciting. But, I really want a NROTC scholarship. Should I be worried that I haven't heard from the navy yet? All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mattbo

P.S: I have a 3.39 GPA and a 29 ACT/1210 SAT, and I have already been accepted to West Virginia, Auburn, and the Citadel with many more apps out there.

Hey man, do they still have you apply online? I remember I used to check the status of my app every day in high school after I put it in and then one day randomly it was up.

If you put the applications in properly and on time (early as you say), I wouldn't sweat it.

Your stats sound pretty good academically. What about any leadership/extracurricular activities (i.e. sports, academic clubs, flying experience, etc?)

navy09

None
The way rolling admissions work is they take a certain number at each board. Those who don't make the cut get another look at each subsequent board. So the fact that you got your package in early helps.

A 1210 SAT (assuming your not counting the writing section) is probably a little below what they're looking for, but it's not a bad score.

Your GPA is OK (not great, but probably just a little below average). If you've got some solid extra curricular stuff (team captain, class pres/VP, varsity letterman, etc) you should have a good shot.

Also, what's the major you put down on the application? They now only award 15% of all scholarships to non-technical majors. So if you're math/science/engineering that will help and if you're liberal arts/social sciences, you're in trouble.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
I say call the NROTC Units of the schools that you applied to. The Human Resources officer (a GS-6 typically) gets to see who is inbound to their unit with scholarships in order to plan accordingly for logistics of the incoming class size for training (orientation, indoc, etc.). This is kind of an insider way to see whether you got the scholarship or not or how you stand on the list.

Good Luck.

mattbo217

Thanks for the Resoponses!

Some answers to the questions. First and foremost, it is still online and I check every day (sometimes much more than once). That SAT is out of 1600, but my writing score was a 640. I am extremely acticve in athletics with a total of nine varsity letters and team captain of two teams, I was my class secretary, and I am a National Honor Society and Key Club member. I am also currently a solo pilot with 15 hours, working on my private pilot licence. My main question is why was the Air Force so quick to offer something on the first board, and the Navy still hasn't given me something after the third or fourth board? All this help is GREATLY apreciated, thanks alot.

Cheers,
Mattbo

Ecureuil444

Habitual Waster of Time
Hey man, do they still have you apply online? I remember I used to check the status of my app every day in high school after I put it in and then one day randomly it was up.

I checked mine every day and then one day I got a phone call giving me the good news. Just for shits and giggles I checked it again months later and it still didn't tell me anything. :confused: oh well, at least I got the damn thing

navy09

None
My main question is why was the Air Force so quick to offer something on the first board, and the Navy still hasn't given me something after the third or fourth board?

The Navy is making this effort to get technically-minded people. I wasn't one of theoe people and I'm lucky I got in before they started this lunacy.

You obviously have a great extra-curricular record. Like I said in my last post, your academics (SAT/GPA) are a little less than what they're looking for. Chances are you're right on the bubble. Good luck, the AF isn't a bad backup- but if you pick up the scholarship, you'll know you've earned it.

sickboy

pilot
I think you're going to be fine. Even if you don't get one, your chances of getting a 3 or 3.5 year as a college programmer are pretty good.

NUFO06

None
Hey...I was not a tech major and I didnt find out till March of my senior year. So dont panic yet.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Enlighten us with the definition of Type 7 AFROTC scholarship. Most of us Navy types have no clue as to what the scholarship entails.

As for the Navy scholarship, it's a waiting game. Like others have said, an open line of communication with the NROTC unit will do worlds of wonders.

-ea6bflyr ;)

mattbo217

A type 7 scholarship pays full college tuition, fees and $900 per year for books, but the student MUST attend a college/university where the tuition is less than $9,000 per year, OR a public college/university in which the student qualifies for the in-state tuition rate. (The thing that isn't said is that this is any major, and most state universities offer waivers and in-state tuition for type-7 scholarships.)