• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I do it?

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Hey guys,

I just finished registering with American Military University so I can begin my graduate studies in Strategic Intelligence. Before I go to the Navy College Office and turn in my TA Form, what are your thoughts about this?

ME:
-Reported 1 SEP
-SNFO
-No IFS

According to the FLT Mgmt LT, he whispered to me to get a part-time job since us FO's will be waiting for awhile. But instead of working, I'd rather start on my Masters. Anyways, just curious what others have experienced in the past and whether I should just enjoy this paid vacation, or actually get crackin at this degree. Advantages and/or Disadvantages??

Thanks.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Fezz CB said:
I should just enjoy this paid vacation, or actually get crackin at this degree. Advantages and/or Disadvantages??
Thanks.
nuts8mn.jpg

Are you f'ing nuts?????? Are you trying to live up to that screen name and avatar??????

Seriously, it's a paid vacation and there are beaches, booze and women to be had. And if it's too cold for the beach, double up on the booze and women!

You will never get the chance to just plain screw around with little to no responsibilities ever again in your military career. Take advantage of it, if you don't you will regret it latter. There's plenty of time latter on to work on your Masters. Plus what happens when you get told to start training and you're in the middle of your semester. DON"T try and do flight training and grad school courses at the same time. This is a sure way to NOT get your wings.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agree with all HAL said. The Navy will get theirs out of you later. Get yours today I wish I could have one month of phone muster pool time in Pensacola.

There is time for a Masters later, maybe on the Navy's dime. Think of this as your senior year in college but with a cool job that pays well and no classes to go to. enjoy

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL Pilot said:
DON"T try and do flight training and grad school courses at the same time. This is a sure way to NOT get your wings.
I have a hard time buying that. If SWO's can do it while on sea duty, then aviators can do it in flight training. With that said, HOWEVER.....Fezz, you need to be aware that the courses through AMU require a sh!t load of reading and writing. I'm currently doing my masters through them and they are definitely not bullsh!t classes. Take this advice from a former nuke....or not....your choice. Just be forwarned that these are NOT like the NPS distance learning courses for their certificate programs.

Can you do it? Absolutely. It's simply a matter of prioritizing your time. Do I think you're nuts? Absolutely. As already stated, you will NEVER, EVER again have this time to just completely fvck off and get paid to do it. I wholeheartedly recommend taking advantage of it. I'd work on the masters after wings were securely fastened to chest if I were you. But hey, what do I know? I don't have wings.

BTW, what class(es) did you register for and when do they start?

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
HAL Pilot said:
nuts8mn.jpg

Seriously, it's a paid vacation and there are beaches, booze and women to be had. And if it's too cold for the beach, double up on the booze and women!

You will never get the chance to just plain screw around with little to no responsibilities ever again in your military career.

I have been convinced by these 2 paragraphs alone. Haha! Right you are....so very right you are.

Steve, I was planning on Research Methods for SI. But it looks like ill be putting this off until after flight school.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Ill pickup on this grad stuff after winging. And from senior O's ive spoken too, this would be the smart thing to do. They all said to enjoy flight school bc there will be ample time to complete a degree later.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
I have a hard time buying that. If SWO's can do it while on sea duty, then aviators can do it in flight training.

I'm sorry, Steve, but I don't think this is a fair comparison. Is the average SWO getting his masters while also trying to qualify? In my limited experience, I don't see this as being the case. You may know otherwise. If you're referring to guys who are already qualified, then I still don't agree, because they "aren't" doing it. They aren't standing their watch, running their division/dept, AND getting the required amount of rest. Plus they're not learning something totally new and foreign. I know we'll probably agree to disagree, and I also understand your point. It CAN be done, but I think the average stud would seriously suffer.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
I'm sorry, Steve, but I don't think this is a fair comparison. Is the average SWO getting his masters while also trying to qualify? In my limited experience, I don't see this as being the case. You may know otherwise. If you're referring to guys who are already qualified, then I still don't agree, because they "aren't" doing it. They aren't standing their watch, running their division/dept, AND getting the required amount of rest. Plus they're not learning something totally new and foreign. I know we'll probably agree to disagree, and I also understand your point. It CAN be done, but I think the average stud would seriously suffer.
We're not talking about "average" folks doing this. For folks (SWO's and Aviators) who aren't qualified, I don't recommend doing this at all. There's other things that you can and should be putting your time into. This doesn't mean it isn't possible though. I would certainly try to dissuade a JO who worked for me from doing this if they weren't already qualified. When I was on the LINCOLN, I took classes through NPS, stood my watches, did my "day job" and during the latter half of deployemnt, worked on my EOOW qual. It is possible and it is a pain in the ass. I have also known other officers JO's and DH types that have worked on their masters while on sea duty.