• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should This Go In My Application?

Bernie Kosar

I did a semester of Air Force ROTC. I decided that the Air Force was not right for me and that I wanted to serve in a different military branch. While in the program I was awarded for my performance and when I left the program the detachment commander offered to right me a recommendation letter. I took him up on this offer. I’ve read numerous posts on this site where Marine and Navy guys bash the Air Force. I just want some opinions from people on the inside (Marines or Navy): will having a recommendation letter from an AFROTC detachment commander and noting that I did well in the AFROTC program hurt or help my application (is it something that should be included or not included with my application package)?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If you were ever in an officer producing program for any service, it has to be noted on your application. I can see no reason not to include the letter. At the very least, it shows you did well and did not leave AFROTC with any bad stigma.

Most of the bashing comments are inter-service rivalry, but it's usually good natured. Plus many of the comments are made based on institutionalzed procedures. The Air Force does things there way and think it's the best way, and the other services do and think likewise. One tends to like doing things the way they learned and bashes those who do it another (yut, yut, devil dog, oooah....).

He may be Air Force, but he's still an officer in the U.S. military. His recommendation will carry weight with the selection board.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
It certaintly won't hurt. I was in AFROTC for a year and did well. The det CO wrote a LOR on my behalf, because I had done well. This will certaintly help your application package as it shows that you have what it takes to succeed as an officer. I added it in my app, and look at me, I was selected for SNA. Good luck!

mts4602

I was in Army ROTC for one semester, not on scholarship or anything. Just tried it out. Wasn't for me. Also I decided committing to the military before I knew what my job would be wasn't something I liked. So do I have to include that in my application? It's not going to hurt me is it?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
He may be Air Force, but he's still an officer in the U.S. military. His recommendation will carry weight with the selection board.

I agree, especially since he was the det commander. Was a Colonel? If so, even better.