• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shoulder Dislocations before getting Winged

Rebel652

pilot
I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with shoulder problems during flight training? If you have been designated a SNA and have a shoulder dislocation (that requires surgical correction) can you get that done and come back to flight training or is NAMI going to make you go SWO or restricted line?

I would think that if it heals up and you have full range of motion that you could continue with flight training. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Best bet is to check the NOMI website, or even better talk to a flight doc, and see what the rules are.

Not to get your hopes up, but I have a screw in my wrist from when I broke it (during training) and after the surgery and rehab they let me fly again.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Your situation is not unique. I would be willing to bet FlyNavy's left testicle that all the docs will worry about are: 1. Achieve full range of motion and 2. Lack of pain.

You really should talk to a flight doc...If you so choose, pm me with your location and I will give you the number of a local one.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Ooooh, yeah. This is a GREAT thread for me to write my first post on...

Back in October, I dislocated my shoulder in the helo dunker (API wk 6.) I was informed that I would be DQ'd from SNA b/c it was a recurring dislocation. That discussion with the flight doc very nearly killed me... However, I was ALSO informed that I could get surgery to correct, and request a waiver if everything came out all right.

I am now 43 days post-op, bored out of my skull standing watch over at NASC "schoolhouse" in Pensacola, and have been told that I could request a waiver as early as mid-April, or as soon as my recovery is complete. My goal is to be in primary by June.

I can definitely confirm that if you have a recurring shoulder dislocation, you will need to get surgery, make a full recovery with complete range of motion and no pain AND request a waiver. It's a ***** of a process, but it can be done. Shoulder injuries are more common than you might think.

I'll also wager that the later you are in the pipeline, the more willing they'll be to work with you (although that is VERY subjective, I've been lucky so far!)

EDIT: Apologies for resurrecting an old thread- it popped up with some current ones when I ran a search.

Rebel652

pilot
I decided to get the surgery in early Jan so that I should be all healed up at grad time and ready to head down to P'cola. I've just got to work on getting my waiver now. The DOC told me it should be no problem after doing PT.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Yep, good idea. You don't want to be like me and have Primary snatched away @ the last minute because of this thing. Just keep in mind that you have to be able to pass a flight physical before you can put in for a waiver.

Hang in there dude, we'll both be flying when this is over :-D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
feddoc said:
Your situation is not unique. I would be willing to bet FlyNavy's left testicle that all the docs will worry about are: 1. Achieve full range of motion and 2. Lack of pain.

You really should talk to a flight doc...If you so choose, pm me with your location and I will give you the number of a local one.

You know, I looked at this thread randomly, out of boredom... I KNEW I should have read it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
You know, I looked at this thread randomly, out of boredom... I KNEW I should have read it.
Look at the doc, using your cojones as wagering currency. Now that's balls.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Look at the doc, using your cojones as wagering currency. Now that's balls.

Brett

Hey, if my balls are being wagered, they gotta be worth SOMETHING. :icon_smil