• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shoulder

Trev82

pilot
So i just met w/ my oso and i briefly touched on this i believe on another thread re: a separated shoulder. But she looked over my packet that i had submitted previously for another class and said it looked very solid EXCEPT for the shoulder i separated 3 years ago... She told me to see a doctor and have him test it, to also list all the activities that i participate in that involves uncontrolled motions i.e. surfing, wrestling, etc NOT weightlifting (as those are all controlled motions)....she said she has only seen ONE candidate get selected that had a shoulder issue. I guess this question is geared towards Marine Officers who have served on a selection board if there are any and if they can provide any input, if it has been 3 years i have been physically active and i do see a doctor who tests my shoulder are my chances slim to none to get in? This is probably out of the question and shouldn't even be considered but what about not even mentioning the shoulder injury, i know honor and honesty but i hate to feel that a shoulder injury that didn't require surgery, wasn't torn and hasn't recurred in the last 3 years would keep me from reaching my dream..... :/ I appreciate any and all guidance and input.

I can't speak from personal experience with shoulder problems, but I had to get a waiver for a heart issue and one of my best friends dealt with shoulder issues. He had a shoulder injury (a result of competitive swimming) that required a waiver. The waiver was ultimately approved, but it took a lot of documentation that everything was good to go. My case was similar in that my OSO was not confident that my waiver would be approved. When he submitted it he told me that it was unlikely that BUMED would grant it. Thanks to tons of documentation (everything from Dr's evaluations to an extensive activities sheet), however, they approved it.

If you go see the Dr. and he can document that your injury does not limit your range of motion, strength, stability, etc. then you should have a good shot of getting a waiver. Dig up as much positive paperwork as you can. I don't know the extent of your previous injury, but it sounds like you are very active. That will help. Showing BUMED that you can participate in a variety of activities without any problems will only increase your chances of success.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
I went Navy, not Marines, but having spoken with an OSO before signing he told me pretty much the same stuff I got from the Navy. I hurt my right shoulder in the gym, specifically the rotator cuff. It was bad enough that I couldn't sleep with my arm anything but straight down my side, and I couldn't drive my car which had a standard transmission. MEPS gave me all sorts of trouble over it, as did the Navy selection board. I wound up getting a waiver which took about twice as long to process as my PRK waiver, and required two additional consults with different doc's. But, upon recovery, I demonstrated full, unrestricted range of motion, and full strength in the injured shoulder. I, too, was asked to provide a list of activities. More is better. I put down things like soccer and moving furniture into a new apartment. A doctor's written opinion that your shoulder in no way limits your physical activity will go a long way.

Trev82

pilot
thx

Thanks gents thats pretty much what i figured and what i was told....i'm very confident i can get a doctor to examine my shoulder and determine that its good to go, i was also told to make an activities list....it would just suck to get turned down b/c of this issue..

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
So i just met w/ my oso and i briefly touched on this i believe on another thread re: a separated shoulder. But she looked over my packet that i had submitted previously for another class and said it looked very solid EXCEPT for the shoulder i separated 3 years ago... She told me to see a doctor and have him test it, to also list all the activities that i participate in that involves uncontrolled motions i.e. surfing, wrestling, etc NOT weightlifting (as those are all controlled motions)....she said she has only seen ONE candidate get selected that had a shoulder issue. I guess this question is geared towards Marine Officers who have served on a selection board if there are any and if they can provide any input, if it has been 3 years i have been physically active and i do see a doctor who tests my shoulder are my chances slim to none to get in? This is probably out of the question and shouldn't even be considered but what about not even mentioning the shoulder injury, i know honor and honesty but i hate to feel that a shoulder injury that didn't require surgery, wasn't torn and hasn't recurred in the last 3 years would keep me from reaching my dream..... :/ I appreciate any and all guidance and input.

mkoch provided you with some good gouge. While I am not a Marine, nor have I served on a selection board, I do know a bit about how the medical folks think. :icon_smil

If you have full ROM and no apparent weakness and no complications since the injury (any surgery???) you should be good to go. WRT any tests performed by a doctor, they are likely looking for ROM and joint laxity and equal strength when comparing your two shoulders.

IF I were in your position, I would seek the services of a certified athletic trainer and/or a certified strength coach. ATC and CSCS, respectively, are the initials you should look for. Either of those folks can provide you with exercises specifically designed to give strength, flexibility and ROM to your shoulder. Ignore any such advice on the internet as it is not specific for your condition.

Good luck to you.

There are no guidelines I know of which say 'if you have a shoulder issue, your chances for selection are poor'.

Trev82

pilot
again thank you

thanks for the good gouge, i'm scheduling an appt w/ a doctor tomorrow to get my shoulder cleared and to get my range of motion tested, and in fact i might even schedule appts w/ TWO doctors just to help my cause...Any Marines in here that have served on the selection board, have any advice on my shoulder situation...is it a blow to the cause or w/ the right doc's something that won't hold me back?

Trev82

pilot
oh feddoc

No surgery, they manipulated my shoulder under anesthesia to set it...no mention of tears and no surgey (which has to be good right?)