• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Silencing Rotor Blades

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Some cool stuff coming out of Eurocopter:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/02/eurocopter-moves-one-step-closer-to-whisper-mode/

main-660x440.jpg

Maybe that stealth helicopter's a possibility after all.

Rubiks06

pilot
I am curious to see what this would do to torque requirements? In the grand scheme of things helos dont make near as much noise as say.....a hornet....or......PROWLER.....makes my ear drums bleed just thinking about it. Pretty cool technology though.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Actually the Japanese 60K has a similar design already implemented. It lowers torque requirements while also reducing noise. I think Sikorsky has done similar research with a few different designs over here.

yakboyslim

None
I'm actually doing a design project right now on a small (10 ft wingspan) Osprey-like UAV. Part of it was going to be making it quiet.

It was just weird cause I got on the internet to do actual work, got distracted by AW and ended up getting research done - on AW. One stop shopping.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I didn't realize how much a 3-4 dB decrease is...I forgot volume is not linear. Pretty cool stuff. Now, if only they would make an APU that doesn't use sound to turn my eyeballs into jelly.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Dumb question......do larger/military helos have a rotor brake on them like the little Robinsons do?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
In the DoN they do for shipboard ops. Rolling deck + low-speed rotor = bad stuff. Dunno if the Army does.

Yankee Uniform Tango
I came in here ready to make a Blue Thunder reference, appropriate screencap ready to go, only to see it was already done in the article. :icon_rage

Pretty neat though.

highside7r

None
Actually the Japanese 60K has a similar design already implemented. It lowers torque requirements while also reducing noise. I think Sikorsky has done similar research with a few different designs over here.
Army UH-60M is out with them on the new wide cord blades to increase lift, nothing to do with "sound".

slug

Yep - WHisper Mode!!

Funny you brought up Airwolf, which was a Bell 222, since Eurocopter has arguably eclipsed Bell in all aspects of light-weight, fast and advanced helicopter designs.

Course, I don't know, one day maybe mach 1 in a two-bladed, semi-rigid, underslung rotor system will be possible.

highside7r

None
I'll take a rotor brake any day compared to a gust lock, but it's strong enough to keep the main rotor from moving. I have a list of things I wish the Army would buy/take off the Seahawks and add.