• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Silver bullet = Motivation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

motv8r

Where do I sign up?
Is it just me or did the chances of receiving the famed "silver bullet" motivate anyone else not to fall out of a hump? I see the silver bullet mentioned quite often on this board. It was pretty customary during my time at OCS to receive the bullet if you fell out of a hump. Heat casualty? Was it hazing? I really can't say but I do know a candidate in my company got it three times during one hump. Ouch...

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
It's kind of funny that you bring that up. I won't say that the "silver bullet" is why I didn't make it through OCS, but very well could have had a large part of it. We were on our first 5 mile hump (the first weekend there) when about one or two miles into it I stepped in a hole or on a root. Needless to say, I didn't want to get the "sliver bullet," and I didn't want to be the guy that quit. So... I kep on going for the rest of the hump. Long story short, I got sent home after 2 weeks of limited duty for a severly sprainedleft ankle. The corpsman said that they hadn't seen to many like mine, and that it was likely that I pulled a ligament. Anyway, the "silver bullet" was one of the major reasons that I didn't ask for medical help when it originally happened. Now I'm getting commissioned in the Navy in 2 days and a wake up. One of the major dissapointments in my life (I've always wanted to be a Marine), but at least I'm headed to flight school. If anyone else on here was there last summer (Golf 3), let me know.

motiv8r

I never got the silver bullet either. By the way, thanks for ganking my screen name there buddy.

moto, out

muc1

A humiliating rectal thermometer. Sure taking your temperature from your ear canal is just as accurate, but it is not as motivating (?) to stay hydrated.

I didn’t know they used it for purposes other than suspected heat exhaustion or fainting (don’t lock your knees). Won’t change anyone’s mind about going I suspect, but still…. Seems a little strange to me…

I thought I heard someone say they send you home after your 2nd one (?).

motv8r

Where do I sign up?
motiv8r said:
I never got the silver bullet either. By the way, thanks for ganking my screen name there buddy.

moto, out

sorry about the handle, motIv8r, its kind of difficult to have an original handle on these boards. i just typed a name...

motiv8r

no worries commando, it's just a screen name for cryin out loud. while we're on the topic of silver bullets, as a matter of fact the bullet is more accurate than an ear thermometer, esp. in a field setting when the temperature in your sweaty earlobe is gonna be a little lower than your core temperature, which is the one they are concerned about. Of course the humiliation of getting pegged probably has something to do with it too. There's nothing like being on your 5 minute rest break on a hump and hearing the squid docs yelling from inside the medevac Hummer, "Get used to it candidate, it's gonna be up there for a while". If that won't get you to drink water, I don't know what will.

Status
Not open for further replies.