• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Single Parent Considering Navy OCS

consideringnavy

Hi. I am wondering how likely it would be for me to apply to become an Officer in the Navy. I have 2 Bachelor's degrees: economics and sociology. While I have many questions, currently I have 2 main concerns: my age and my son (he's 3.5 years old).

I will turn 35 in February and am wondering if its even possible to attempt the application process and have it approved in time for me to attend OCS, should I be accepted.

I am also wondering how single parents in the Navy manage being a single parent while being on a ship or submarine for several months out of the year.

Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated!

blarged

ready
I can't answer the single parent part, but as for the age part, check here for all age requirements. If you are turning 35 soon ... which is where the communities (IW/INTEL) who allow the 'older' commissioning age have their cutoff, you might be cutting it a bit too close.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I recommend reading through the OCS threads and asking yourself honestly if you think you are up to the rigors of the OCS. It is physically and mentally quite demanding with little to no contact with the outside (at least initially).

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'm not even sure they will allow a single custodial parent to join the Navy.

If you are already in the Navy, you have to provide proof that you have a care provider available on very short notice for both short and long term care of your child. Otherwise, you can (and probably will) be administratively separated from active duty. As a squadron Admin Officer, this was one of my biggest headaches - tracking and enforcing this issue.

consideringnavy

Thanks to all for the replies. I would have childcare available while I went through OCS and any other training pertaining to my specific job. As for the OCS part, I have indeed considered very seriously whether or not I am up to the mental and physical challenge. I know that I am. I am not deluding myself about the lack of outside contact (or other necessary "miseries") during the majority of the training and I understand that much of the training is intended to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. My fiance recently completed OCS, in fact, so I was witness to much of what goes on there as well as I could have been via the phone and emails. I suppose my greatest concern pertains to the time I would be away from my son while at sea, etc. I was just hoping someone might have encountered this and was wondering how common it is for single parents to have a successful Navy career.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wait...you're talking about being a single parent but you're engaged? To someone in the Navy? Cuz being a single parent in the Navy is one thing; mil-mil marriages are a whole 'nother set of problems, issues, and caveats.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Well, they do allow single parents to join the navy. I can guarantee you that. They do require, however, that you create what is called a Family Care Plan in which you outline (in detail) where and with whom your son will stay when you are getting deployed.

My suggestion to you: talk to a navy officer recruiter. You're getting close to being past the eligible year for joining. Talk to him about your concerns for your son and ask him what fields the navy has that are the most family friendly. I would not recommend subs. When my dad was on fast attacks he was in and out constantly. It's easier for him to be gone for 6 months then back for 18 months (ideally, but not always the case) than out for 3 months... back for 2 weeks or so... out again.

I wish you luck. I have a 20 month old and understand your concerns for your son. I'm trying to balance the need to be selfish and do what I've always dreamed of doing with the needs of my family. Unfortunately for them, I came from a Navy family and I handled it well and I believe they can too.

Best of luck to you.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Single or dual-mil, if you have kids, you are required to have a family care plan on file.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Family plan, yes, but the rules and programs, career track, etc, is very different for a married mil-mil than for a single parent.

For the OP, we can answer your question with a lot more clarity if you share what your status is likely to be. However, as has been said, I think your age is going to be the bigger hurdle. You're already pretty much at the edge for any community, and if you haven't even started the application process, I think you may be SOL.

red_ryder

None
That, and I find it ironic that your profile hobbies include spending as much time with your son as possible. At this point, at his age...just my personal opinion, but isn't there some other career option available? Sounds like this might be pretty tough to be missing not one, but two parents growing up.

I know my brother's friend just got into the Navy this year and he is I believe 35 (may still be 34). He had to enlist in order to qualify to be accepted to OCS, since I am assuming he was on the cut off to be accepted as a civilian. That could potentially be an option for you, but not sure how much of one.