• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ski bum/Helo pilot

DannyNoonan

In an effort to cure boredom in enid the other night, we turned to watching warren miller movies and drinking. After some guys went heli-skiing in the movie, we wondered if any helo guys found cool jobs like that post-Navy? Retiring to lake tahoe to bum around in the summers and fly rich guys around to go skiing in the winters sounds like a pretty damn nice way to spend your years...

Id imagine there are some pretty cool/eccentric jobs out there for helo guys. Ive really only heard of guys going to fly the oil company people off the coast and the emergency medical type pilots. Any experts kind enough to shed some light on this? Thanks.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I'm definately not an expert, but my old OPSO retired and move to New Zealand. He flies tourists between NZ, Australia, and whatever island they want to travel to.

Feet Wet

If you are looking to make it big, it will not be as a civilian helicopter pilot, o.k.? Just look at the facts. Period.

Now, if you enjoy it, and $$$ is not an issue, then press forward my friends.....:D

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
for me, "expert" is anyone who flew those things with the big spiny things on top. off to crappies.

Damn. I thought they banned that place after a fireman tried to shank an AF stud. I guess when you only have 3 bars to choose from they can't keep banning you from going to all of them.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
If you are looking to make it big, it will not be as a civilian helicopter pilot, o.k.? Just look at the facts. Period.

Now, if you enjoy it, and $$$ is not an issue, then press forward my friends.....:D

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I don't know how much the skiing and tour guys make, but I've been offered jobs to fly Life Flight where the pay and benefits were mostly comparable to what we get. I also was shown a job (though at the time I wouldn't have had enough hours to qualify) flying corporate starting at $150k with an eventual increase to over $250k plus benefits. Granted, that's not necessarily typical of what you can expect to make, but it's out there. The main problem with that is that flying corporate, from what they tell me, can be worse than being deployed. You're on call 24/7 and may suddenly have to leave for weeks at a time. The other big problem is that if you want the high-paying gigs you pretty much have to know somebody who can help you get in the door.

DannyNoonan

When the suddenlink cable guy came over a few months ago, it turns out he was an Army warrant pilot who crashed over in Iraq and messed up his leg. he was saying the Life Flight type guys out here make some nice 6-figure salaries. Apparently when you live on some random ass farm in the middle of nowhere, like where vance is, and you fall into a combine (or other random piece of farm equipment) ambulances are pointless so they need helo guys. Of course, for me to live somewhere around here after I retire, I would need about 7-figures.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor

I don't care how much free skiing I got, if I did that job I would probably have to shoot someone after about two days.

Or get fired for not stopping the chairs when some newbie ate it getting of the lift. God, I hate that. . .

Clux4

Banned
I am still looking for free helicopter lessons in the GA world. I will post updates when I find one.