• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Skipper, I'm Thinking About Leaving the Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great set of reasons to stay in the Navy...
Excerpts posted here with the permission of the Executive Director, Tailhook Association. 5-11-05
http://www.tailhook.org/Mazach.htm
The One Liners Say It All

The lifelong friend...duty, honor, country...pride in serving...graduation day at AOCS and the first salute from our DI...first solo in a new aircraft...pinkie recoveries...teamwork and camaraderie..."twenty-eight knots, MOVLAS"...ammo vertreps to the CV...Falcon codes...NVG inserts...cat shots, day traps and good weather..."shack"...low-level routes over the Grand Canyon...air wing dets to Fallon...Ruthie's...gun dets to El Centro...nachos at the Mount Signal Cafe...weapons dets to Yuma...Cretine's...ACM dets to Key West...the ...Duval Crawl..."OK-3...any wire on a pitching deck, coal-black night...a cool breeze when standing the Alert 5..."boola-boola."

Also, an early push from marshal when the sun has just set...a sliver of moon on the darkest night...a good hawk from the recovery tanker...perfect sugar from paddles on your night in the barrel...cloud surfing at sunset...streaming the sled into a steady wind and calm sea...Palma, Cubi and Perth...the sound of Taps at lights-out...the National Anthem at morning colors..."Now launch (or secure) the Alert 5"...pizza night in the dirty shirt...ready-room humor...PLAT LSOs...sliders at midrats..."Fox"...turnover westbound toward Gibraltar..."sweet"...the view from Mustin Beach over Pensacola Bay..."One's in, hot"...sunsets off the fantail...squadron command...the cruise ..."fly-in"

"I don't think I could have had more pure fun and enjoyment anywhere else...."

Well, there you have it--a list of reasons from people who decided to stay on; why they continued to Fly Navy. The people responding came from all communities and represent hundreds of years of experience (from mid-grade lieutenant to admiral). The constant theme that runs through their responses is that a career in the Navy is not about facts and figures or fortunes made and lost--it's about service. It's about dedicating yourself to a calling, to leadership, fun, and at the risk of sounding romantic--it's a noble profession. It's a profession dedicated to taking care of hundreds of thousands of people. It's a career that when it's all said and done and when you are too old to climb into a cockpit, you can look back at what you accomplished and know you made a difference. You know that the country is, in some way, better because of what you did.

Think about it, and keep the ball in the center.

Ed. Note: VADM Mazach, a native of Coffeyville, Kan., received his commission through the Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps at the University of Vanderbilt and entered flight training at Pensacola in June 1966. Receiving his Wings of Gold in October 1967, he served with several attack squadrons on the East Coast before becoming commanding officer of VA-15 operating the A-7E Corsair II. After several tours in Washington as a personnel detailer, he commanded Carrier Air Wing Three, USS Seattle (AOE-3), America (CV-66), Cruiser Destroyer Group Eight and Carrier Group Two. He was later assigned to the office of the Chief of Naval Operations (N51) and to U.S. European Command before receiving his third star and being named as Commander, Naval Air Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet.

VADM Mazach holds the Defense Superior Service Medal, the Legion of Merit (three awards), the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Bronze Star Medal and the Air Medal (eight awards), together with numerous other decorations. He is married to the former Mary M. Waggoner, and they have two daughters.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Outstanding! I can attest the motivational and rewarding moments that came with many of the events listed above. As someone that did decide to leave active duty, I consider that list as goodl reason to join the Navy and if seperating, stay in the Reserves. If in the Reserve, atleast you get to occasionally savor the best of the fleet.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
That is good stuff, and if I had it to do all over again, I would probably stay in the Navy on active duty, at least for 20 years. I didn't get out because I didn't like it --- there were many other reasons, some of which are not applicable today or at least don't seem very important with the benefit of hindsight.

The rationale for a military career is very personal. This list of "one-liners" sums it up pretty well --- memories, comrades, shared experiences, and opportunities to see and do things that your civilian peers can only dream about .... I'm not sure it's an adventure; but it really IS more than just a "job".

Status
Not open for further replies.