• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Smash's French question.

Smash

Hi,

I am new at this site, I am French

I refused to enter Air France and the Air Force as a pilot (after being selected), because I wanted to serve in the Navy, I follow the French Navy selections, I succeeded them but they told me:" we take you but provided that you are volunteer to fly on helicopter".
Personally I do not wish to become pilot of helicopter, so I also refuse to join the French Naval Aviation.
My wish was to do like my father; he was a naval aviation officer and a pilot on aircrafts based on carrier.
So I would like to ask to join the forces of the US Navy.
I think that there will be no objection because pilot officers of the embarked aviation of the French Navy are trained at NAS Meridian, and because the course is homogeneous to everybody and because first we are commissioned pilot on aircraft carrier in the US Navy before being in French Navy.
It is with pleasure I would adopt the American nationality. My parents lived in Alaska, that they got married there, and that my sister was also born over there and that she has the American nationality.
I am twenty years old, I followed a preparatory course to engineer's high schools and I have an excellent general, maritime and aeronautical knowledge.

So I would like to know of what you think of it....???!!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Welcome, Smash.

I moved your post to a new thread. Just some words of warning for your plan... IF you become a citizen (which takes a lot of time) and THEN you're accepted into the US Navy as a Student Naval Aviator, you would still go through the training as all other SNA's do. There is no guarentee you get jets. You could just as easily get helos and be flying helos for the US Navy instead of the French armed forces.

MasterBates

Smash,

You will have to be a US Citizen to become a Naval Officer. All the foriegn born officers I know came here as a child, I do not know if there is a time in country reqirement.

What you will need is a Bachelors Degree or higher, to be offered a commission.

Keep in mind that ~55% of US Navy pilots fly helicopters, and being assigned Jets is more luck than anything (timing, needs of the service that week) provided you do your part. You can be a "Rock Star" in flight school, and there be NO jets available your week.

Smash

Thank you a lot for these answers, to tell the truth, I suspected it a little, and what you say is very similar so that it occurs in France !!

"Beat me to it Gator"
what does it mean ???lol

See you soon and blue skies ;-)

BigRed389

None
gatordev said:
Welcome, Smash.

I moved your post to a new thread. Just some words of warning for your plan... IF you become a citizen (which takes a lot of time)...

Getting a green card in itself takes a while, and you need to have someone who'll employ you over here.

Another way to come over and get some time in-country would be to attend a US school(maybe post-graduate work), but that would be on a student visa, and you'd have to be applying for a green card while doing so. This might also help since I don't even know if the Navy will accept a foreign bachelor's but a US master's degree should be fine...anybody have any comments on that?

Then after that, it takes even more time to get throught the process of becoming a naturalized citizen, took me a year and a half when I did it, although BCIS(US immigration) claimed it would take "approximately" 8 months.