• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon

I have 20/20 vision uncorected near and far but I have a dilated refraction error of +3.50 which is just outside SNA limits, so I am contiplating PRK, I passed the MEPS Physical with no problem so I can get an SNA slot but I know I will possibly fail the flight physical becasue they test that, but there is a chance I might pass without PRK becasue I am borderline. My question is does anyone know if I were to get an SNA slot and then fail the flight physical could I then have PRK and still hold on to my flight slot, or do I have to have PRK before ever even applying for the slot.

budaploud

brandon,
i believe that if you do not qualify for a flight slot in your initial flight physical, you will not be able to continue. i had my initial physical a few weeks ago...and from what i understand, if i would have failed any portion of the physical, i would not have been "passed" to continue on with the application process. i could be mistaken...i feel sure that your OSO will fill you in on what you need to do.

jrklr

I'm pretty sure that you can have PRK after you are in the service. A SNFO I was talking to said that he was considering having it done so that he could switch to pilot.
I'm not so sure how their even going to guarantee you a slot if you didn't pass the refraction at MEPS though. Along the lines of what buda said, MEPS tests refraction, color, 20/20, and depth perception. There is a limit for each one of these to get a pilot slot and if you don't pass, you don't get that slot. I would look into getting your refraction tested at a civilian doc, you never know with MEPS.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Get it done before you go to ocs. If you get the NAMI whami for vision, they will redesignate you or allow you to switch to another field. If you have the time, do it now. Don't take the chance of getting the nix at OCS. You will have wasted your time and money as well as the navy's. However, make sure you have enough time for recovery and such. Talk to an opto guy. If the $$ is a concern then make sure you've been selected for an SNA slot. They are hard to come by these days.

Dave

wilsonator

my husband had the prk done and obtained a sna slot. i am currently at ocs and i will say do not count on getting redesignated if you do not qualify for your current designator. all officer programs are pretty backlogged according to our class officer. my husband went to a guy in kentucky called dr. lance ferguson. he did an outstanding job. his vision was 20/400 and is now 20/15. this doc has the newest laser on the market and has never messed up an eye. I think we paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $4000 i'm not sure if that included the hotel and stuff since we are not from kentucky. it takes 3 months to recover from the surgery and apply to the navy. that is 3 months from your second eye since they do one at a time so maybe 4-5 months total including your initial consultation. i can't help you make a decision but if you do decide to get surgery, it does hurt during the recovery and you don't want to go cheap find a good doc that is honest about the surgery and whether you are a good candidate for it or lasik. also search the web and read about peoples nightmares with eye surgery and make sure you don't pick one of the losers. GOOD LUCK

jwilliamsee

I got accepted as a SNA with PRK and pretty much know how the whole process works. 3 or 6 month wait depending on the amount of correction you require before the surgery. get your eyes checked and if they won't pass the minimums get PRK if your borderline get PRK otherwise don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.