• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA flight physicals... before or after OCS?

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
Hey guys I’ve got a question about pre-OCS physicals for SNA only applicants.

My recruiter has me lined up for a “full flight physical” later this month down in Corpus and he makes it sound like not all SNA applicants have the opportunity to get the full checkout before heading off to OCS. He said what happens is candidates finish OCS and take the pre-API physical (apparently the normal time SNA applicants receive the “full flight physical”) and find out they have some condition which keeps them from flying.

This leads me to believe some applicants either don’t know to ask for a full flight physical or they don’t have the option. From searching previous posts, it seems common for candidates to head off to OCS with the confidence of knowing they are physically qualified to fly once they finish OCS.

To state my question clearly, is there a difference between the standard pre-OCS physical and the pre-API physical and is it common for OCS grads (SNAs) to find out they’re physically not qualified to fly?

MasterBates

There is the flight physical which we all get every year..

Then there is the "NAMI WHAMMY" we get at OCS/API..

I had a flight physical at MEPS.. The NAMI one was more scrutinizing.

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
There is the flight physical which we all get every year..

Then there is the "NAMI WHAMMY" we get at OCS/API..

I had a flight physical at MEPS.. The NAMI one was more scrutinizing.

Thanks for the input MB.
Yes, the NAMI physical does sound more detailed than the MEPS physical (which apparently is the standard pre-OCS flight physical, am I right?) I’m wondering though, is it even possible for candidates to get a NAMI physical in place of the MEPS physical before OCS in order to remove any doubt of personal health issues that could keep a SNA out of the air? Trust me, I’ll be asking my recruiter about this as soon as I get the chance… he’s just not the easiest person to get a hold of.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the input MB.
Yes, the NAMI physical does sound more detailed than the MEPS (the standard pre-OCS) physical. I’m wondering though, is it even possible for candidates to get a NAMI physical in place of the MEPS physical before OCS in order to remove any doubt of personal health issues that could keep a SNA out of the air? Trust me, I’ll be asking my recruiter about this as soon as I get the chance… he’s just not the easiest person to get a hold of.

I don't see that happening.

Brett

Lawman

None
Thanks for the input MB.
Yes, the NAMI physical does sound more detailed than the MEPS (the standard pre-OCS) physical. I’m wondering though, is it even possible for candidates to get a NAMI physical in place of the MEPS physical before OCS in order to remove any doubt of personal health issues that could keep a SNA out of the air? Trust me, I’ll be asking my recruiter about this as soon as I get the chance… he’s just not the easiest person to get a hold of.

Yes.

In fact you are supposed to have a flight physical to commission as an air contract for the Marines. Mine was done by the Air Force so its not like it has to be done in Pcola, you can get an equivilant flight physical at any military hospital that does them. Your profile says your from Texas, there are plenty of Military facilities there that can do a flight physical on you.

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
I’m going Navy, but I’m sure the process is hardly any different between the Marines and the Navy. As for there being many bases in the Texas area, you’re very right. But, my guy tells me Corpus is the only place I can have this full flight physical done… hence my query regarding the process. I’m also going to be flying to Pcola for electronic height measurements, which are apparently taken manually in Corpus and aren’t as accurate. There really isn’t anything to worry about. I’m just curious about the process and what exactly my guy might be talking about. Thanks for the input!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes.

In fact you are supposed to have a flight physical to commission as an air contract for the Marines. Mine was done by the Air Force so its not like it has to be done in Pcola, you can get an equivilant flight physical at any military hospital that does them. Your profile says your from Texas, there are plenty of Military facilities there that can do a flight physical on you.

Flight physical ≠ NOMI physical

Brett

atflor

pilot
I keep hearing about the different physicals you are subject to as an SNA (MEPS, NAMI (NOMI), Flight-Physical). What are the biggest differences in them? Do they take a closer look at a certain part of your body? Do they X-ray your whole body at some point? What makes them different or more in depth? I feel like the MEPS process is quite intricate and cannot imagine what they will check in addition to the MEPS check-up.

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
Yeah, it would seem logical to take the more stringent of the two… but, if that’s the case, why doesn’t everyone do it???

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Flight physicals are where they do required testing to see if you are PQd except for a few critical things like determine your refractive error and dilate your pupils. They will check for visual acuity / depth perception / color vision / intra-ocular pressure / EKG / etc. and make you see a flight surgeon for a check-up to perform things like the self-balance test and valsalva maneuver (I'm basing this off my experience at NAS Jacksonville).

NOMI/NAMI will have the equipment to check your refractive errors to make sure they are within the limits. They will also dilate your pupils and check out your retina, and they will take your anthro measurements all official-like. As far as I know, this either happens the 2nd day of OCS, or at some point before or during API.

Heloanjin

pilot
I keep hearing about the different physicals you are subject to as an SNA (MEPS, NAMI (NOMI), Flight-Physical). What are the biggest differences in them? Do they take a closer look at a certain part of your body? Do they X-ray your whole body at some point? What makes them different or more in depth? I feel like the MEPS process is quite intricate and cannot imagine what they will check in addition to the MEPS check-up.

At NOMI they have much larger and longer fingers. Say hello to Dr Jellyfingers.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The MEPS physical just makes sure that you don't have any disqualifying conditions for a commission in the armed services.

The NAMI part of the larger NOMI is going to make sure you are physically qualified to operate Navy aircraft. So, it is a flight physical plus. A lot of attention is paid to vision at NAMI (which used to be a big disqualifier prior to eye surgery being allowed).

All of the SNA wannabees in our OCS class had our eyes dilated and it made for a lovely rest of the day. They take blood, do xrays if you need it and even check your grill.

Make sure you don't have any jacked up dentistry issues (even cavities) prior to reporting to OCS. You don't want to be held back for that kind of crap.

I don't see any advantage for getting a flight physical prior to OCS. Especially if you don't a have an initial NAMI physical in your record and initial medical waivers granted (if any).

Go get your NAMI physical with your classmates. At least you get to escape the battalion for 3/4 of a day and that's worth something.

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not worried about the physical at all, I was just curious. I've tried to take care of everything I can think of (dentistry, blood/urine work, vision tests) before I head off to take the real deal. It can’t hurt to be sure, right? Obviously my recruiter knows what he’s talking about. So, hopefully I’ll be seeing some of you later this year in RI! Cheers.