• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA/NFO or MSC Hosp Admin Route

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnpluggedGenZr

Hey everyone, I've been researching for months now, and I've been in a predicument on which path I should take in the military. I am very grateful I have a few decent options ahead of me, but I am stuggling to decide which route I should go all in for.

Background: I've always been fascinated with the military and almost joined at 18.. long story short parents convinced me to go college route and decide later... Fast forward to graduation day with COVID the world was crazy and my life was shit show. Got broken up with, moved to complely new city, parents going through struggles, etc etc. I almost pulled the trigger and joined during this time but I decided to start my corporate career and see where that leads me. Anyway, this brings me to today where I am on my second corporate job (remote), making 85k a year and enjoy the company and people I work with.. however, I still feel the urge to join military and serve a bigger purpose. I don't mind my corporate career but feel lack of purpose and stagnation in my life. Corporate world is strange a lot of fake people and working up the ladder.

Career: Masters Degree in Health Information (3.8 GPA), BS in Bus Mgmt (3.4 GPA). I've been working in the healthcare industry during and post college about 5yrs of experience. I also have small side gig that I am helping start a small nonprofit for healthcare (not huge commitment).

Overall, I am struggling because I can't shake this urge of joining the military. I don't want to live my life as "what-ifs" so am looking to make the decision by the end of year but not sure which route to take. Always been interested in the Navy and the tradition and traveling with it. I am 28M who is in great physical condition, runs and work out 5-6 times a week and is overall healthy. No family ties or kids. Do I go balls to the wall and shoot for pilot or go the more stable route of MSC? I feel both are great routes and would be rewarding.

I don't think I will have difficulty scoring well on OAR/ASTB, etc as I will prep as much as possible. I am currently compiling a Pros/Cons list of each option to help me make the decision, any insight you all could give would be amazing.

Here are the options I am currently looking at in no particular order. Let me know if you have any other career options you recommend.

Option 1: SNA/NFO

I've always thought Navy aviators were badass. I've had modeled WWII military airplane models hanging from my ceiling when I was a kid and went to air shows.. even have a picture of 8yr old me sitting in a cockpit of blue angel (foreshadowing? lol). I am aware aviation is a grind and not all sunshine and rainbows. You are an officer first and aviator second.

Like I mentioned I am healthy nothing to my knowledge that would hold me back from a medical stand point other than failing for vision.. I had 20/20 back in highschool but I am going to get my eyes checked next week to confirm. I went on a discovery flight a couple weeks ago and I thought it was pretty cool, but I did get a little motion sickness. I have read that this happens often but you eventually get used to it.

If my eyes are all clear my strategy would be to study OAR/ASTB, and pursue ground school/PPL just to have knowledge and advantage going into the Navy. I've read up on all the pros/cons of aviation.. my concern right now is to start PPL to see if I enjoy flying and kick the air sickness... I would hate to get to flight school and fail because I couldn't handle flying.

Option 2: AF/Navy MSC Hospital Admin

This option would fall in line to a similar role to what I am currently doing. I don't mind what I am currently doing, but I do not like how I am just making a large organization more profitable. I actually care about improve healthcare for patients.

I could send in a packet to the AF right now, however the Navy recruiter told me I would have to get MBA/MHA degree in order to send in my packet. The Navy recruiter said I could do the (HSCP) scholarship and once I get my degree I would me a Hospital Administrator in Navy. However, I really do not want to go back to school and the AF would take me as is with my current Masters degree. Air Force def has worse locations than Navy and I've read that DHS has really been messing up military healthcare system. This path has a shorter commitment (6yrs), great promotion rate and a lot of opportunities for civilian growth outside of military. Also a better QoL similar to 9-5 work schedule which I don't mind.

I know, I need to pass tests, MEPS, etc. to even be considered for these positions, a lot could go wrong. I am trying to keep in mind that the military is what you make it. Either path I would have to put a few months studying and preparing my packets and ofcourse have a waiting period for boards. I could honestly see myself doing both careers.

If you have any insights or recommendations to help me make this decision. Again, I am currently making Pro/Cons list of my options and will decide hopefully in next couple months.

villo0692

However, I really do not want to go back to school
I majored in electrical engineering and computer science and I can tell you flight school so far has had me studying more than I ever have. So keep that in mind, you’ll be hitting the books A LOT

UnpluggedGenZr

I majored in electrical engineering and computer science and I can tell you flight school so far has had me studying more than I ever have. So keep that in mind, you’ll be hitting the books A LOT
That's a good point. That's also kinda the reason I want to get PPL or at least study groundschool to see if I enjoy learning about aviation. I don't mind studying if it involves something I really enjoy. The "going back to school" was more related to the fact I would be attending class, wasting time with learning about things in the healthcare field I mostly already know about from my Masters degree or real world experience.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
SNA/SNFO is definitely more of an adventure. MSC is a niche field within Navy Medicine, which is Staff Corps. Your master’s degree doesn’t have an expiration date. You can always do it later in life. If you choose Navy HSCP you might as well go for the gold and get a free MD out of it. But if you’re looking for adventure, aviation is going to scratch that itch more than MSC.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
As you said, you could always take an online ground school to see if that small peep into world of aviation is still interesting or just a burden. Plenty of options from gold seal, jeppessen, etc.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Both HCA/HSCP and Naval Aviation are going to involve schooling. Albeit one gets you a masters degree and the other qualified to fly, you will be in an academic environment for the next few years for both options.

Do the research and make a decision which aligns with your short and long-term goals. You're not the first person ever, or on this site who posted their life story uncertain on naval aviation.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome to AW. Just as a general policy we shut down these new-guy "life story/basic questions" threads because they ask the same things and kinda clog up the boards. Review the stickied threads, particularly in flight school and officer programs sections. Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.