• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA Physical Before OCS?

NMCflyboy

Does anyone know if there is a way to get a flight physical before OCS? I have a slot and I have been to MEPS, but I want to have the REAL doctors give me the OK before I enter. Any info would be great.

Charity

Final Select SNA
I'm getting a flight physical before OCS and I've heard of others who have done the same. It's probably a good idea to get it before you go to OCS, because from what I understand, once to go to OCS, if you're not qualified, you're screwed. Ask your recruiter. I'm getting my flight physical at the end of February and I have to drive 7 hours to get there, but I'm getting it done.

NMCflyboy

Great

My recruiter doesn't seem to really care about me getting this done. Let me know how the physical goes.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I had the same question a few days ago. Xmid was telling me it's really just up to you. All you have to do is ask your recruiter. Mine will be here on Wednesday and I'm going to ask him. I'll let you know if there's more to it than that.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
My recruiter doesn't seem to really care about me getting this done. Let me know how the physical goes.

Remember he is there for YOU. If you want a flight physical before you go, then tell him so. He's not worried about you getting hosed for pilot if you turn out to not be qualified physically. I've got to do this myself. Called the recruiters office Friday and still haven't heard anything (I realize they are off on weekends usually, though).

Get it done, man. Don't me mamby-pamby with your future.

2ndGen

Third times a charm
The SNCO at my OSO said they only give flight physicals to seniors so I'll go to OCS without having one, of course I just want to be a Marine, so even if I wasn't physically qualified for SNA than it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Edit: Yeah, sorry, I didn't look where this thread was posted, my bad.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Remember he is there for YOU. If you want a flight physical before you go, then tell him so. He's not worried about you getting hosed for pilot if you turn out to not be qualified physically. I've got to do this myself. Called the recruiters office Friday and still haven't heard anything (I realize they are off on weekends usually, though).

Get it done, man. Don't me mamby-pamby with your future.

IIRC, all future aviators and NFOs got flight physicals in the first week of OCS at Newport anyway.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
NMCflyboy, if you do end up going down for a flight physical prior to OCS let me know. We can carpool down from TC and make a roadtrip out of it.

maijanka

PRO REC SNA
NMCflyboy, if you do end up going down for a flight physical prior to OCS let me know. We can carpool down from TC and make a roadtrip out of it.

Sorry for the stupid question but if I were to do a flight physical before OCS would I have to go down to Pcola to do so or are there regional offices? I would ask my recruiter but I am trying to give him a break from my daily calls.

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
It doesn't matter what your recruiter "seems to really care" about. Don't let 'em slow you down if you really care about it. DO you care about it? Aight then, go do it! It's that simple.

Looks like you got a buddy to ride over there with too: less bucks to drop on gas... reduced heating costs... company... - sweeter deals may not always be found.

Good luck when you go. Break a leg! ...or, or not..

Really though, hope you pass!

jdflyer09

The SNCO at my OSO said they only give flight physicals to seniors so I'll go to OCS without having one, of course I just want to be a Marine, so even if I wasn't physically qualified for SNA than it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Edit: Yeah, sorry, I didn't look where this thread was posted, my bad.

Can somebody confirm this? Though it isn't a deal breaker, this physical will be on my mind until i hear the words "Physically Qualified for SNA"

p.s. I do realize this is Navy, and I am USMC PLC... But we all go to the same people anyways

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
The Marines do it differently. The only reason I started thinking about getting my flight physical done before OCS is because my Marine PLC buddies were giving me shit about how they had theirs done and "wtf is wrong with you?"

That said...uh...I think they've all finished OCS and are just waiting on TBS. I guess that doesn't answer your question. PM and I can put you in touch with somebody who knows for sure.

NMCflyboy

Well if anyone could answer this, what is the most allowable refraction error that is one of the issues, I have 20/40 correctable to 20/20.

Charity

Final Select SNA
ok I know that but what happens if you enter OCS and fail the flight physical? are you done?

Not 100% positive, but I think if you are not qualified at OCS you either redesignate to NFO or something else, or go home. I have the same question about borderlined vision. My astigmatism has tested at -1.5 and -1.00, which is the limit. I have been unable to get any straight answers from anyone because everyone tells me as long as my vision is 20/40 or better, I'm okay. According to the NOMI paper work that's a flat out lie. I've seen people on this forum get to OCS or API and test at -1.25 and be NPQd.