• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNFO to SNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

avg_joe

What’s the path to SNA if I was selected SNFO other than the board after your first sea tour?

Is this something I can pick up at API or another phase of flight school?

I also heard some gauge on SNA’s bypassing much of the wait in flight school if they sign up for rotary. Is this an avenue I can peruse to transfer to SNA?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What’s the path to SNA if I was selected SNFO other than the board after your first sea tour?

I also heard some gauge on SNA’s bypassing much of the wait in flight school if they sign up for rotary. Is this an avenue I can peruse to transfer to SNA?

In the past from time to time SNFO's have been allowed to switch to SNA prior to API (NIFE) if physically qualified but that has been manning dependent and not predictable at all. Bottom line, I would not in any way count on it.

As for the rotary thing, the jury is still out whether or not that is a good thing.

avg_joe

In the past from time to time SNFO's have been allowed to switch to SNA prior to API (NIFE) if physically qualified but that has been manning dependent and not predictable at all. Bottom line, I would not in any way count on it.

As for the rotary thing, the jury is still out whether or not that is a good thing.
Thanks dude !

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Welcome to the forum. The "Pilot/SNA to NFO/SNFO" question is regularly asked here and you can find resources to help you out.

In short, NFO to pilot transition remains very rare and I wouldn't go SNFO with hopes that you end up being an SNA/Pilot. Don't apply for SNFO if you have any doubts of becoming one.

Similar questions and discussion, kindly ask you use the search function. Good luck!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks dude !

27f65b12-5445-43c0-b596-2e5a6662c096_text.gif

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Short answer is that it has happened (SNFOs making the switch) but it’s extremely uncommon. CNATRA factors typical early-stage attrition numbers (the Whammy, etc) into their SNA/SNFO accession number planning, so it’s exceedingly rare for them to need to redesignate studs from one pipeline to the other.

The direct-to-helo program is really new and I doubt they’d take any SNFOs. It’d mess up their metrics, which makes CNATRA testy.

Punchline is it isn’t technically impossible, but the odds of it being an option for you are effectively zero. If they do need some cones to switch, most often the word goes out for students finishing NIFE as they can use performance and grades as a selection factor. Do not go asking STUCON about it unsolicited. They’ve heard it from every “but I really wanted to be a pilot” SNFO since the Earth cooled and you’re more likely to get something heavy chucked at your head.

Get winged, do well as a FO in the Fleet, and if an anchorectomy is still something you want then, that’s the time to go for it.

exNavyOffRec

If you go to OCS hoping to switch to SNA in the pipeline you will be disappointed, there are many threads about transition several years down the road but you can read how it isn't common and timing has to work out.

There is a reason people are told to only apply for designators they will be all in for.

avg_joe

If you go to OCS hoping to switch to SNA in the pipeline you will be disappointed, there are many threads about transition several years down the road but you can read how it isn't common and timing has to work out.

There is a reason people are told to only apply for designators they will be all in for.
Thanks! Yea I’m happy with NFO I was just curious about switching and what it looked like. Idk if it is something I will even consider. Just wanted some “gauge” on the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.