• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So, when do I go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC_Eagle

I've been pretty set on OCS since I was a freshman. I'm a junior now, and the information I'm getting is that I should go this summer and have a year to think about whether or not I want to be commissioned (that is, of course, assuming all goes well). To me, this makes little sense, as I would have to wait anyway. Are there benefits to going early and sitting on it, or should I just wait?

NosniboR80

There are at least a few benefits:

1) when you get commissioned through PLC-C, you will strart drawing pay as if you'd been in for a year. (Check your OSO about that, as I was an OCC cand)

2) It is easier to get into PLC-C, I believe, than it is to get into OCC for various reported reasons.

3) You get another year to get into even better shape before reaching The Body Softener.

4) I'm sure the extra year will make it easier to buy the $2500-3500 of uniforms that you'll need for TBS.

The only drawback that I can think of is that while OCC candidates get their commission and go within a month or two to TBS, PLC commissions often have to wait around for awhile to get into a class. Ask your OSO about how long the average wait is.

d_bossart

Another reason to go early is the fact that if you get hurt and are NPQ (not physically qualified) then you will have the following summer to go again.

Augustus

d bossart,

I am applying to PLC Soph. if I am not NPQ is it possible to try for PLC jr.? And what is the difference between PLC jr. and OCC?

makoslim

Air candidate 188
PLC= 2 six week courses durring the summer while you are workingon your degree (also much easier to get accpeted for)
OCC= 1 ten week course in Jan., Jun., or Oct. for college graduates

If you go PLC, you have the entire year (if Junior, more if you go earlier than Junior year) to decide if the USMC is for you before you return for seniors.

If you go OCC, you decide shortly after you graduate if you want to accept your comission.

From what I've heard (from my pool members [almost all PLC, I was one of only two OCC guys in my pool]) PLC is a better option when you weigh the pros and cons, so if you can, go PLC.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Augustus said:
d bossart,

I am applying to PLC Soph. if I am not NPQ is it possible to try for PLC jr.? And what is the difference between PLC jr. and OCC?

There is no such thing as "PLC Sophomore"... PLC Juniors is the first six week course, and PLC Seniors is the second six week course. It has nothing to do with what academic class in college you are in.

Augustus

Thanks for the clarification taxman. What is the PLC course for juniors in college that is 10 weeks long called?

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
When I was there, PLC-C and OCC were together in one company, but that was the first time they had done it. I think it was based on the fact that they didn't have enough staff for two companies. I believe this past summer it was separated into two companies, though.

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
During the summer they have usually two companies one strickly OCC 10 (Charlie Company) weekers and one OCC/PLC-Combined (Delta Company). Delta Company tends to have a lot of Marines from ECP/MCP and other Enlisted-to-Officer Marines trying to become officers. However, the commissioning thing is a lot easier through PLC, just based off of selection rates alone. Also, the ability to bounce back if you don't get selected the first time around. http://www.marineofficer.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.